Bourbon!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO, its overrated. It isn't bad, but not worth the extra money.

+1 I don't like the port finish, I think it ruins the bourbon. I do like different barrel finishes on scotch, though, but that is a different conversation.

However, don't let my yuck get in the way of your yum. There are so many quality bourbons out there for every taste. My everyday is Evan Williams or Old Grand Dad Bonded, and I'm sure there are people who hate those as much as I hate Angel's Envy.

Any of y'all been on the Bourbon trail? If so, which distilleries did y'all like the most?

Labrot & Graham
Buffalo Trace
Makers Mark
Wild Turkey

Alltech (Kentucky Ale) has a new distillery in Lexington which is getting good reviews but I haven't been over there yet.

Thought y'all might like this picture. From my bar, about an hour ago ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396121951.074300.jpg
For just over $200 you can have one of each.

"I will make it felony to drink small beer. "

Thought y'all might like this picture. From my bar, about an hour agoView attachment 189390
For just over $200 you can have one of each.

Damn the whole collection, nice. That's an impressive feat these days. IMHO, the 20yr isn't worth the extra cash. It's good, just not that much better. I'm assuming those would be three fingers neat for 2 bills.

I very much enjoy the Pappy in all it's forms... My inability to obtain any is really cramping my style.

Sometimes I think I am the only guy in the world who doesn't like Woodford. The double oak is barely better for me. I taste a lot of raw oak in all their products that I just don't care for.

No smooth ambler "old scout" fans out there?

Damn the whole collection, nice. That's an impressive feat these days. IMHO, the 20yr isn't worth the extra cash. It's good, just not that much better. I'm assuming those would be three fingers neat for 2 bills.

The 20 year is my favorite, more than the 23, which is 50% more for those extra three years.

Regarding woodfords double oaked, text taken from the description of the youtube video.

"An innovative approach to twice-barreled bourbon creates the rich and colorful flavor of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. Uniquely matured in separate charred oak barrels - the second barrel deeply toasted before a light charring - extracts additional amounts of soft, sweet oak character."

If you ever want to splurge and see some Buffalo Trace Single Oak Project, I highly recommend it. It'll run you about $55 for a 375ml bottle, but why not treat yourself sometimes.

I very much enjoy the Pappy in all it's forms... My inability to obtain any is really cramping my style.

Sometimes I think I am the only guy in the world who doesn't like Woodford. The double oak is barely better for me. I taste a lot of raw oak in all their products that I just don't care for.

No smooth ambler "old scout" fans out there?

Haven't seen it in store. But I haven't really looked too hard.

Doesn't it have to say "bourbon style whiskey"?

If you are referring to the fact it's made in Colorado, that is a myth. There is no 'law' stating that it must be made in KY. There is a new bourbon distillery in Cleveland as well. It may be pride, it may only be that historically bourbon has always been made in KY, but it is not law. The new oak barrel, however, is.

oops you're right. I forgot! Only "Kentucky Bourbon" can be from Kentucky. And no other state can put it's name on the bottle in this fashion.

Little home bourbon tasting tonight since I had to miss the Whiskey Live NYC event tonight. Dickel Hand-Selected Barrel, 4-Roses Single Barrel, Jefferson's Chef Collaboration, and Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon. Mmmmmmm yes. Current order: old Forrester, Jefferson's, Dickel, 4-Roses. My mind may change by the time I am done.
image.jpg

I love all bourbon, tried the Hudson Baby the other day, it was very good. For an everyday inexpensive drink, I recommend Watkins. 16$ at total wine.

Little home bourbon tasting tonight since I had to miss the Whiskey Live NYC event tonight. Dickel Hand-Selected Barrel, 4-Roses Single Barrel, Jefferson's Chef Collaboration, and Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon. Mmmmmmm yes. Current order: old Forrester, Jefferson's, Dickel, 4-Roses. My mind may change by the time I am done.
View attachment 192157

How did you keep it from spilling?!

Bookers is truly nectar of the gods. But since it is barrel run at about 135 proof I actually like the way a little water from a melting ice cube opens it up.

Buffalo Trace is my go to everyday bottle. Whiskey stones are perfect for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Completely agree. You can't taste the flavors if the alcohol is too overpowering. That's why most bourbons are bottled around 90-100 proof. Two cubes of ice in my Bookers is the way I like it. And like Guinness it should set a minute or two to open up. Use that time to smell the bourbon and see how it changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Wouldn't you like to know! :)

Final order: Jefferson's Chef Collaboration, which is actual made of delicious, old Forrester, then The Dickel, then the 4-Roses. I kept switching the last two. Fun tasting!

That Jefferson's is some good stuff!

What do you guys think of Henry Mckenna? Buddy just scored some but I was headed off to work and couldn't try it... just sniffed it. Sweet maple explosion in the nose. It's on the cheap side as well. Just wondering what the consensus was.....

If I was looking for a decently high rye content (lets say over 12%) with a sweet flavor, what should I be buying?

You guys have a preference for glasses? Currently I'm using short rocks glasses but I'd like to refine that as I drink it neat.

Louisville native, and been a bourbon drinker most of my life (beer is pretty recent, actually). I always keep Knob Creek around the house - surprised no mentions yet. Love its mineral, flinty notes. Makes a damn good Manhattan and Old Fashioned, too. (extra bitters, please)

Also been drinking Elijah Craig for almost 20 years. There seems to have been a shift either in their formulation or in my palate - I tend to find it a bit softer, with less rye and complex herbaceous character than used to be there. I remember thinking it almost came across like cilantro the first few times I had it.

I used to love Maker's Mark as a (relative) kid, but now it just tastes like marshmallow cream to me.

The Weller Reserve mentioned above is probably my favorite wheated Bourbon. Beautifully soft with warming cinnamon and treacle notes. Damn. Haven't had it in a while - haven't been able to find it around Philly.

Bulleit is great for the price and well-balanced. Could someday supplant Knob Creek as my house Bourbon.

Wild Turkey 101 (not the 90 proof, which is meh, and for gawd's sake not that American Honey abomination) might actually be the best Bourbon value for the money.

I rarely go for the super premium stuff. Booker's is nice (and readily available), but a bit pricier than I think it's worth. Blanton's is a good change of pace, flavor-wise, from what I usually go for, with its rich rich rich -- but somehow not cloying -- caramel.

Advice for the OP: Get Wild Turkey 101 or Bulleit. Neither are too pricey, both give you a good sense of What Bourbon Is, and if you don't care for them, you won't feel bad using them for soaking oak chips or cooking, or whatever.

Just found this today

I live a mile from the brewpub and the GF is a manager there. I love that stuff. I've been trying to learn about bourbon and whiskey off and on for about the past five years and this brought me back to liking them again. I even joined New Holland's Whiskey Cabinet. I've been to one meeting so far and I've already learned so much more than I could have figured out on my own. I've even found a new favorite in Basil Hayden's and discovered my new preferred way to drink.

Has anyone used the Distilled app for the iphone? If not, I highly recommend it. Pretty sure it's still free and I use it whenever I go to a new bar and see something different. That's how I discovered Four Roses Small Batch, which I also love.

To be sure, I still consider myself a novice at this and I'll be taking notes on this thread so I can start looking for your fine suggestions.

Anyone have any feedback on Angel's Envy? It's new to MN and just noticed how highly rated it is. The small sip I had was extremely smooth and a little different from any other bourbon I've had (probably due to the port barrels). However, this was the last in line of a few tastings, so my palette might have been wacked.

I saw it locally for $38.99 which looks like a great price compared to what I'm seeing online.

Although I do enjoy angels envy it's not legally bourbon as it's aged in port barrels instead of virgin oak barrels.

That stated, the stuff is the bees knees - sweeter and smoother than bourbon (aka less harsh oak notes, mores sweet port notes without being too sweet). My father in law turned me onto the stuff, and now I am forever in his debt.

My favorite bourbon however is Blanton's single barrel - accessible (price-wise) for a premium bourbon, at least in my eyes.

I probably go through in a year:
1 750ml bottle of premium bourbon (Blantons)
1 750ml bottle of premium tequila (JCRDLF or case noble 7yr single barrel)
1 1.5l bottle of premium vodka (belvedere)
2 750ml "good" whiskey (angels envy, JW black, Jamesons)
I don't attempt to quantify my less expensive consumption volumes (home brew, JD, sauza, espalon, smirnoff, wine, gin)

apparently I drink a lot.... but when it's "the good stuff" it's neat or on the stones (not rocks).

edit: to stem the confusion, this is the 7 year casa noble I was talking about; I had four bottles initially, I'm down to three, it was a limited run of 300 bottles, as they typically do a 5yr as the "oldest" available; I actually prefer the JCRDLF to the 7yr. http://offthepresses.blogspot.com/2010/10/park-avenue-liquor-shop-debuts.html
I know I know, bourbon forum keep that tequila nonsense out of here...

Back