Bourbon Porter Recipe Crtique Please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstockwell

Reaction score
I appreciate any help advice you all provide.

I have looked at porter recipe database for the most popular, however I don't have all those ingredients on hand. So looking for input on my recipe with what I have available.

Recipe Type: All Grain BIAB
Yeast: Notty Slurry
Batch Size (Gallons): 3.25
Original Gravity: 1.072
Final Gravity: 1.017
ABV: 7.3%
IBU: 35
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 33 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 Days at 64 degrees
Add 3 oz of Bourbon, 2.5 oz table sugar and rack beer to bottle bucket & bottle

Grain Bill
6 lbs. 2 Row
2.5 lbs Halcyon
6 oz Munich 60
4 oz. Crystal 120
4 oz. Pale Chocolate
4 oz. Crystal 40
4 oz Black Patent (cold steeped overnight in 4 cups of water)
3 oz CaraPils

Mash
BIAB Single Infusion mash for 75 minutes at 154 degrees.

Boil & Hops
.25 oz. Pilgrim 11% @ 60 min.
.5 oz. Pilgrim 11% @ 20 min.

I do a Vanilla Bourbon Porter every winter that is pretty similar to this one. I also brew 3.25 gallon batches, so we're speaking the same language :)

I would recommend dropping the Carapils altogether. You'll get plenty of body from the other crystal in there, as well as the 154* mash temp.

Also (and this is just my opinion!), I would mash the black malt. I like a healthy amount of roast in my porters. Cold-steeping would give you all the colour without much of the roasted character that I believe should be present in a porter.

At bottling time, don't stick hard and fast to the 3oz of bourbon... It can go from a nice accent to overpowering pretty quickly. I recommend adding 1-2oz at a time, and giving it a taste test after each addition.

I hope that was moderately helpful!
Cheers!

Back