Bourbon Barrel Porter Stuck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdunn1221

Reaction score
Hello all,

About a month ago I brewed NB's BB Porter kit. About 2 weeks ago I transferred to secondary and noticed SG is still at 1.030. I used the Windsor Ale Yeast. While transferring I picked up a lot of the yeast from the primary in hopes this plus some gentle swirling would kick fermentation back up. No such luck! With a six month old that I am watching throughout the day it is hard to find the time to work on home-brew as much as I would like. I have been afraid to add the makers mark/oak cubes till fermentation is complete. The beer tastes great already, is it done? Or should I pick up another packet of yeast and pitch it? When should I add bourbon. I was hoping to have this for Xmas not too sure now.

Thanks for all the help

:mug:

It is a little high, but not too surprising having just looked at the recipe, coupled with that yeast.

It has 2 lbs of specialty grain and 6 lbs of Dark LME, which has a lot of unfermentable sugars.

Windsor is a low attenuating yeast. 60 to 65% is probably more normal, so your 55% attenuation is low for it.

What temperature are you fermenting at? If it's cool, try bringing in to a location closer to 70 F.

I'd also suggest getting a pack of Notty or S-05, rehydrating and tossing that in.

I brewed this kit up last year. Mine was stuck at 1.036. I transferred it to a yeast cake of us05. That didn't work (still don't know why). So I rehydrated a fresh pack of us05 and added 1teaspoon of yeast energizer. Started fermenting again and FG finished at 1.026. Maybe it will work for you too.

I brewed this kit up last year. Mine was stuck at 1.036. I transferred it to a yeast cake of us05. That didn't work (still don't know why). So I rehydrated a fresh pack of us05 and added 1teaspoon of yeast energizer. Started fermenting again and FG finished at 1.026. Maybe it will work for you too.

Cool thanks. Is it worth pitching the more yeast to bring it down a few points?? It tastes good to me now. Would it be ok to add bourbon now and age for a month?? I should not have to worry about bottle bombs right??

Thanks again

It is a little high, but not too surprising having just looked at the recipe, coupled with that yeast.

It has 2 lbs of specialty grain and 6 lbs of Dark LME, which has a lot of unfermentable sugars.

Windsor is a low attenuating yeast. 60 to 65% is probably more normal, so your 55% attenuation is low for it.

What temperature are you fermenting at? If it's cool, try bringing in to a location closer to 70 F.

I'd also suggest getting a pack of Notty or S-05, rehydrating and tossing that in.

I fermented around 65 degrees. I have swirled fermentor and brought temperature up with no luck. Is it necessary to repitch a new pack of yeast or would I be ok at 1.030?

Thanks for the reply

I think 1.030 will be way too sweet. I think you should try another yeast.

That was one of my first brews and I experienced similar trouble. I also pitched one packet of windsor yeast. Two weeks after adding the bourbon and oak in secondary I had steady airlock activity for about 10 days. Because of that I left it in secondary for about 2 months total. It's been in the bottle for a few months now and the flavors are beginning to meld together and the oak is subsiding. I originally hoped it would be ready for Christmas but I think it will need more time to be a fantastic beer.

I'd have to agree with Calder. It will probably be to sweet. I would pitch more yeast to at least see if it starts fermenting. You don't want to have bottle bombs on your hands.

Back