Bought this job lot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballistic

Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought the following items off a wine brewer in the hopes there was some steriliser in the bucket, but the steriliser was empty. I do, however, have all this wine brewing kit and it is all just about to go out of date, so I am curious... has anyone used any component of this stuff in beer brewing?

Citric Acid
Yeast Nutrient x 2
Fermentation Stopper
Dried Active Yeast
50 Campden tablets
Kwik Clear finings (out of date)
Pectinol Enzyme x2
10 litre bucket
12 Tappered corks
12 beer bottle tops
1 brand new hydrometer.
2 x wine makers muslin
1 syphon and tap.

There was 2 tins of fruit concentrate but I had to empty these and recycle the cans as they were leaking.

The more of this I can use the better, so I welcome your suggestions! :)

Here is the stuff I think you would probably find a use for:

Yeast Nutrient x 2
50 Campden tablets
10 litre bucket
12 beer bottle tops
1 brand new hydrometer
1 syphon and tap

Possibly the Dried Active Yeast, but you probably won't actually use this since it's most likely wine yeast.

The funny thing is I opened the yeast and it looks good. It says on the pot it is for wine making and brewing, so is there such a thing as a "general" yeast? It is dried into small balls which looks dry and it smells.... "yeasty" yeah LOL

What about Yest Nutrient. (Diammonium Phosphate with Ammonium Sulphate) why would a beer brewer use that?

Yeast nutrient does just what it sounds like. Mostly with beer you're going to get all of the nutrients you need for a healthy fermentation but it doesn't hurt. I use it on cider along with most of the stuff you mentioned above, but I've also used it in beer as one of those "why not" reasons. The stuff costs like a dollar a bottle.

Also the muslin bags are often used to strain fruit when making wine, or so that fruit can be removed from the fermenter without straining it after fermentation...but you could also use them as hop bags. I can't really see your muslin to see what state it's in or how big it is, but you could use it. If they're really big you could probably use them to steep specialty grain in as well. I use a stretchy nylon but it would probably work the same.

if you already opened the yeast, just toss it. dry yeast is cheap and if it says for winemaking/brewing, it's probably not very good yeast. danstar nottingham and fermentis safale us-05 are both good all-purpose dry yeasts for brewing.

Toss the yeast? I didn't get where I am today by tossing things out in the trash!!! :O

What about Yest Nutrient. (Diammonium Phosphate with Ammonium Sulphate) why would a beer brewer use that?

Two times I use yeast nutrients: 1) when making a starter from a small amount of yeast, I want a LOT of growth and I pitch in some nutrients, and 2) with a barleywine or similar big beer where I need the healthiest yeast possible - I toss some yeast nutrients into the boil. I have no idea what real benefit I get from either of these scenarios, but so far so good.

Back