Bought a freezer,need help deciding how to set it up.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Addicted

Reaction score
I baught a Frigidair 9 cf freezer,but I'm having a hard time deciding between a tower or faucets and a collar.I know i can fit more kegs with as collar but I'm not really concerned with that now.Are there any advantages to either set up?,will i have to cool the tower somehow if i decide to go that way?

I have a tower in my kegerator, and the disadvantage is that the first glass poured has a lot of foam due to the beer in the non refidgerated tower portion being warm. If you only pour 1 beer every 1 1/2 hours or so, you'll get the foam. But if you are pouring without the beer in that tower line getting warm, it's all gooda.

I went with the collar to avoid the foaming issue (although that can be fixed with some cash and ingenuity. Fans etc...). I also went with the collar because I could fit 2 more kegs on the hump. But the number one reason for me was the tower hitting the wall when ever you open the lid. If your freezer is several feet away from the wall or you don't mind pulling the heavy SOB out everytime (wheels would help of course) than a tower would work for you. Also my collar is attached to my lid. No worries of the shanks getting in the way of kegs or having to lift 40# kegs of beer any higher than you have to. My Frigidare 7.2 freezer has hinges that hold up my 10x1 inch collar with no problem.

I went with the collar to avoid the foaming issue (although that can be fixed with some cash and ingenuity. Fans etc...). I also went with the collar because I could fit 2 more kegs on the hump. But the number one reason for me was the tower hitting the wall when ever you open the lid. If your freezer is several feet away from the wall or you don't mind pulling the heavy SOB out everytime (wheels would help of course) than a tower would work for you. Also my collar is attached to my lid. No worries of the shanks getting in the way of kegs or having to lift 40# kegs of beer any higher than you have to. My Frigidare 7.2 freezer has hinges that hold up my 10x1 inch collar with no problem.

Yeah this IMHO is the only way to go!!!!! Sure alot easier getting things in and out full or empty kegs, CO2 all the tubes are out of the way its too easy.

I've got a collar attached to the lid on my keezer and I love it.

+another vote for love it!!! :mug:

How would you attatch the collar to the lid?..The hinges would not reach the freezer body?

How would you attatch the collar to the lid?..The hinges would not reach the freezer body?

I just used a bunch of polyurethane adhesive (aka liquid nails) to glue it on. Some use screws I think. The hinges are just left on the body of the freezer, and attach to the collar.

Oh ok,simple enough.What do you use for a gasket between the collat and freezer?

Oh ok,simple enough.What do you use for a gasket between the collat and freezer?

I salvaged the original from the freezer when I took the lid off and carefully stapled it on to the bottom of the collar. I basically followed BobbyM's youtube videos on keezer conversion, found here. Keep in mind the quality of his workmanship is way beyond what's required. It's awesome, but not required.

My keezer build is here. Pics don't give a super detailed "how to" perspective, but will give you an idea.

I used the stock hinges to attach the collar to the freezer...the lid I atached with two metal plates for framing.....

I attached the collar to the lid of the freezer, after removing the plastic inside of the lid, added firing strips and then used screws and liquid nails, then used the stock freezer door gasket for the bottom of the collar works like a champ see by build here

http://http://waorgany.blog.com/

Let me know if you have any other questions :mug:

Back