bottling yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

android

Reaction score
i brewed a belgian dark strong about 3 weeks ago. i moved it into secondary with oak cubes last night and plan to have it there for about 2 months. it's right at 9% ABV.

after roughly 3 weeks in primary and 2 more months in bulk aging, and the relatively high ABV, should I consider adding some yeast to the bottling bucket when i get there? or dosing the bottles or something?

You certainly could. Add maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of a packet of dry yeast to bottling bucket if you're really worried about it. It might carb up a little faster this way, but I can almost guarantee you will carb with residual yeast. With a brew like that, I wouldn't be drinking any within 2-3 months of bottling.

I have a tripel in secondary that was in primary for 4 weeks and will be in secondary for 8 prior to bottling. I will not add any other yeast. Usually as I get near the bottom I end up sucking up a tad of yeast from the cake, that ought to be plenty even though I can see through the carboy right now (with 6 weeks to go!).

Back