bottling with mason jars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fracturedman

Reaction score
So, my brother just got back from Walla Walla and visited the laht neppur brewery. He walks in the door with two 800ml mason jars full of beer. Poured directly from the tap into the jars. I love this, but I am wondering is this legal?

How is this any different than, say, having a growler filled? Are there "official" specs on carryout containers (like size or etc.)? Growlers are legal in IL, so if it's legal to fill a container for takeout, I don't know why it wouldnt be just as legit to do mason jars..... and let's face it, a growler is about the "greenest" and most environmentally responsible packaging going.

How is this any different than, say, having a growler filled?

It's not...I had several 1/2 gallon mason jars I used to get filled at a local micro. If they allow carryout, it shouldn't really matter the container. Some states don't allow carryout beer from a bar at all, some do. Washington and Oregon do.

In Maryland you can only fill containers you sell. Thus growlers are legal, but only growlers sold originally by that business. So there can be a difference between a growler and a mason jar, but not in Washington State.

How long will it last? Depends on the style of beer, but if it's filled correctly, it should last a while. High gravity beers and those with strong flavors (IPAs, etc) last a lot longer than light beers. Mason jars get a real nice seal, so I'd imagine it would be similar to a growler for storage, as long as the bartender was careful to not trap oxygen in the headspace.

I have transported beer in mason jars before.
I know in washington & idaho you have to put a 6pk or less into a bag, Or its considered a open container.

So, If you are really worried..Just put it into a bag and you should be more than covered.

In WA, a tavern or brew pub can sell a keg, but not a bar with a Class H Liquor license for hard liquor. I "think" a tavern can sell a growler or jar to go, but it IS legal for a brew pub to do it.

In Maryland you can only fill containers you sell. Thus growlers are legal, but only growlers sold originally by that business. So there can be a difference between a growler and a mason jar, but not in Washington State.

I think they are pretty lax though. I accidently broke my dad's rock bottom growler so I bought him a plain one. RB had no issues in filling a growler that did not have thier logo on it.

In California that's way illegal. You can only fill containers you sell, and you're only allowed to put stuff in the container that's written on that container's label.

In California that's way illegal. You can only fill containers you sell, and you're only allowed to put stuff in the container that's written on that container's label.

There are also distribution issues. At the Stone brewery, you can only get the growlers filled at the bar in the gift shop because of the distribution rights. The bars in the bistro (same building, ~100 feet away at the most) can't fill them.

I think they are pretty lax though. I accidently broke my dad's rock bottom growler so I bought him a plain one. RB had no issues in filling a growler that did not have thier logo on it.

Some obey the law better than others; RB is pretty easy going. I've got a nice sculpted growler with faceted glass and a sculpted handle, and I never got turned down with that. In fact, the first time I used it the bartender explained the law, but said he couldn't refuse to fill a growler that pretty. :cross:

they will fill any type of container here I had a three gallon corny filled at the local distributor when they had Smuttynose IPA @1/2 price . As long as it has a cap they don't care where its from or what its made out of .

There is a place in Ann Arbor whose name I am currently forgetting, but they use mason jars as glass for beer. I thought it was a cute idea. And, it was the first time I had Bell's Oberon, so it was a pretty good day all around.

Back