Bottling with Brewers Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjcortez

Reaction score
Will using brewers yeast when bottling give any off flavors? Anyone tried it to get better carbonation?

I have never used additional yeast to bottle, I just add the recommended amount of sugar.

I have never used additional yeast to bottle, I just add the recommended amount of sugar.

I've been using 3/4 cup of corn sugar but I'm not getting the carbonation I want even after a month in the bottles. So I'm hoping that a little brewers yeast with the corn sugar addition at bottling will help. Tired of drinking flat beer

Maybe someone else can correct me if I am wrong, but you'd want to add more sugar for more carb, not yeast. I think if you do, you'll make bottle bombs.

Explain a bit more of your process. You shouldn't need to add additional yeast.

Explain a bit more of your process. You shouldn't need to add additional yeast.

Boil 3.5 gals wort. Cool to 80 degrees. Add to carboy with 1.5 gals cold water. Pitch liquid yeast when wort is 70, cap and shake carboy vigorously. Put on airlock, kept in room at 70f, wrapped in blanket. Watch for flocculation to complete then check for FG to siphon over to secondary fermenter for a week. Boil 2 cups of water with 3/4 cup of corn sugar for 15 minutes, cool to 70 and add to bottling bucket. Siphon quietly from secondary to bottling bucket. Fill bottles to 1 2/2 inches from top, cap, box and return to room with fermenters. Wait two weeks, place bottle in refrigerator for two days, open an hope for the best. If not carbonated wait another week and do the same. Still not enough, drink it anyway. even a full month in bottles still flat. Everything gets cleaned with OneStep before and after every use.

I never had a flat beer when brewing the same way 6 years ago. Really at a loss and trying anything.

Does the beer have any residual sweetness when you drink it, does it taste like not all the sugar was converted?

70* ferment wrapped in blankets seems a little warm too.

When you say "wait for yeast to flocculate" what is the avg timing here?

Have you tried not racking to secondary?

Are you sure the corn sugar is well mixed in the beer at bottling and not stratifying?

Is your FG in target for your recipe?

Man .. your steps are identical to what I do and the first week(then 2 days in the fridge) I generally have light carb and then week two its good to go. Here is some examples. May be on to something with the old sugar though. I would also look at your capper and make sure something is not wrong with it.

Does the beer have any residual sweetness when you drink it, does it taste like not all the sugar was converted?

70* ferment wrapped in blankets seems a little warm too.

When you say "wait for yeast to flocculate" what is the avg timing here?

Have you tried not racking to secondary?

Are you sure the corn sugar is well mixed in the beer at bottling and not stratifying?

Is your FG in target for your recipe?

The beer does taste sweeter than I think it should. I use towels to shield light and I go by the temp tape on the fermenter. It can take up to 2 weeks or longer for it to completely flocculate. I haven't tried not using a secondary, I'll think about that with my next batch. I put about half of the corn sugar solution in first. Run the siphon hose to the bottom of the bucket. I gently swirl then add the remaining solution and swirl some more. Some recipes hit their target others don't.

Man .. your steps are identical to what I do and the first week(then 2 days in the fridge) I generally have light carb and then week two its good to go. Here is some examples. May be on to something with the old sugar though. I would also look at your capper and make sure something is not wrong with it.

Hadn't thought about the capper because I bought a new one, just before I found my old one. I'm pretty sure I'm getting a good seal. I can hear a little bit of gas escape when I open them.

Back