Bottling wine in swingtop beer bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moxie

Reaction score
Any of you guys used clear swing top bottles for wine or apfelwein? I have two dozen of these 750ml bottles collecting dust, and 10 gallons of brew to bottle. Are there any extra considerations I should take with clear bottles as far as storage/etc?

Well, they say that for storing wine long term (5 years or so) it's actually important for the cork to be able to breathe a little bit. If you don't make reds and you don't store it that long, you should be fine. I would also be sure that the wine is fully, fully fermented before bottling, and I wouldn't necessarily want to backsweeten into a vessel that can build up pressure. I made homemade sparkling wine once -- it did not go well, and SWMBO was not too pleased when she was sponging it off the ceiling. ;)

Well, they say that for storing wine long term (5 years or so) it's actually important for the cork to be able to breathe a little bit. If you don't make reds and you don't store it that long, you should be fine. I would also be sure that the wine is fully, fully fermented before bottling, and I wouldn't necessarily want to backsweeten into a vessel that can build up pressure. I made homemade sparkling wine once -- it did not go well, and SWMBO was not too pleased when she was sponging it off the ceiling. ;)

Excellent. I am not a wine guy at all, I limit it to about 10gal per year or so, and much of it goes out as gifts/taking it to friends' for dinner/cooking/etc. I will make sure to use wine stabilizer before bottling. I did plan on bottle conditioning some of the apfelwein to see how I like it carb'd.

Yoop also says that light can damage wine, but it's not the same as beer. Still, best to keep it out of direct sunlight, according to another post she made not too long ago.

Latest posts

Back