Bottling twist-off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budchx

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm ready to bottle my batch but I've got few twist off bottles,can I bottle them with normal crowns and a hand capper?

In fact, that isn't true. You can bottle with normal crowns on twist off bottles; I have done it, and they have always sealed just fine. The bottles are weaker, I've been told and are more likely to break. So you do run some risk.

I've heard that a bench-capper would seal twist offs, but not a hand-capper. So I would have to agree with the previous post based on what I've read. I used to use a hand-capper, but never tried twist offs. So I can't speak first hand. Best to go get some bottles. If you have a local recycling center, you can usually swing by and pick up as many as you want for free. I've also used 12oz or 20oz plastic coke bottles on occasion that have worked fine.

He did mention hand capper in the OP, and I've tried with a hand capper on twisties just to see. I couldn't get it done. I can't recall hearing of anyone getting it done. I have heard of it being done with a bench capper, but not a wing.

I must have bottled at least 10 cases of twist off caps, mostly Yuengling, using a wing capper without any breakage. They all sealed too.

I've made a mistake and had a few sneak in with a bench capper. They are much harder to crimp but seem to work OK. I've made it a practice to cull them out. In general they don't seem to be as sturdy glass.

I have a few twist off bottles, and I wonder if you could reuse the original cap.

I'm not sure if they would seal correctly though.....

Back