Bottling Today - How Much Is In My Carboy? (I'm an idiot.)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NothingRhymesWithCurtiss

Reaction score
Complete fail on my part: I didn't mark/measure gradients on a carboy a friend loaned me before I used it for the first time.

I will be bottling today, a Double IPA, and don't want to over/under prime.

The carboy is 3 gallons and, best guess here, I'd say there is 2.5 gallons of beer above the trub. Anyone else care to wager a guess?

carboy dipa.jpg

2.25 I run into similar circumstances, not so much that I don't know how much beer I'm making, but how much is lost due to my not so excellent racking skills. What I tend to do is go for a slightly lower carbonation on my brews... Seems to work, so-far no gushers, and no bombs. Every beer I've made has a head. :)

if thats a 3 gallon carboy i'd guess you have 2.2 gallons there. Why not take some measurements and use some math to get it exact. just measure the beer height, and assume the volume of the carboy if it was a cylinder.

Is this like that game where you guess how many jelly beans are in the jar, and the closest person wins? If so, I'll say 2.26 gallons. What do I win?

On a different note, that beer doesn't look very clear. And a ton of trub that doesn't look packed down. How long has it been fermenting? Stable FG? Going by looks (which can be deceiving), I would give that at least another few days.

I brewed a Grodziskie/Grätzer which requires carbonation up to 3.5 volumes (APA/IPA/DIPA are 2.4 or so). I've had no problems with overcarbonation

as long as your fermentation is complete, you can guesstimate your priming sugar on the high side and still not have bottle bombs or gushers.

so, take your best guess and RDWHAHB

The commonly quoted safe limit for 12 ounce beer bottles is 3.0 volumes. I am sure they can hold more. So how much more depends on how brave you are. I would guesstimate on the LOW side....

Or measure the volume - then prime accordingly!

Thanks for all the input, everyone!

On a different note, that beer doesn't look very clear. And a ton of trub that doesn't look packed down. How long has it been fermenting? Stable FG? Going by looks (which can be deceiving), I would give that at least another few days.

The beer fermented for 10 days before I took gravity readings 3 days apart and both were at 1.01, at which point I dry hopped. Dry hops were in for 4 days, and then I cold crashed for approximately 4 days.

Edit: 6oz of hops between Flame Out and Dry Hop plus some Wheat and Oats in the mash. So I'm sure that impacts clarity.

Thanks for all the input, everyone!

The beer fermented for 10 days before I took gravity readings 3 days apart and both were at 1.01, at which point I dry hopped. Dry hops were in for 4 days, and then I cold crashed for approximately 4 days.

It should be done then.

It just seems cloudy, especially if you cold crashed. That must be a ton of hops. I bag my hops even when dry hopping so I rarely get more than 1/2 inch of sediment on the bottom = more beer.

Thanks again to eveyone that offered their opinion. I ended up with just over 2 gallons in the bottling bucket, and per your recommendation, I slowly stirred in the priming sugar solution.

Back