bottling temp after cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louz

Reaction score
I've read that its not necessary to allow the beer to rise to room temps after a cold crash before you bottle. Can anyone vouch for that?

I will be using a brewers friend priming calculator. I see how it factors temperature into the amount of sugar needed... but to me it seems to make more sense to allow the beer to get close to the temp it will be stored at after bottling when calculating the required sugar.

Correct, you do not have to allow the beer to warm up before bottling. However, for the "temperature" entry when calculating priming sugar use the highest temperature the beer achieved once fermentation was complete, NOT the current cold temp. I won't go into the details but it has to do with allowing for the amount of CO2 already in the beer when you add your priming sugar. So, if you fermented at 70F throughout fermentation to completion and then cold crashed to 36F, use 70 for your priming calculation.

Latest posts

Back