Bottling Scottish after four weeks in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
AG Scottish ale has been in primary for four weeks - two weeks at a constant 60º, two weeks at a constant 65º - and now looks pretty clear. The yeast is Wyeast 1728 (Scottish ale), which according to Wyeast is highly flocculent. Based on that, and the relatively long primary, should I give the carboy a little swirl before racking to the bottling bucket, to ensure some yeasties make it into the bottles?

If it matters, it's Jamil's 70/-. OG was 1.042 (4 pts high), FG is dead on the estimated figure of 1.012. Planning to bottle later today or tomorrow.

Maybe my concerns are unwarranted. But my last batch was a brown porter that tastes outstanding, but is way undercarbed...nearly totally flat. Not sure what happened, but it too was in primary for four weeks. It was the first batch to be in a chest freezer, undisturbed at a constant temp; the Scottish is the second.

Thanks!

It's probably not necessary but it won't hurt to give a little swirl before racking. Maybe you'll get a little more sediment in the bottle.

How are you determining the amount of priming sugar to use for bottle carbonation? You may just be conditioning your bottles at too cool of a temperature and for higher gravity beers not giving them enough time.

I agree with @LLBrewer that you most likely do not need more yeast in suspension.

How are you determining the amount of priming sugar to use for bottle carbonation? You may just be conditioning your bottles at too cool of a temperature and for higher gravity beers not giving them enough time.

I agree with @LLBrewer that you most likely do not need more yeast in suspension.

I calc'd the priming sugar with an online calculator (actually went to a couple and compared for consistency), same as for twenty or so batches before. The porter was the only that had the problem. It conditioned at room temp...it's been eight weeks now.

Have a hunch that I just goofed and - somehow - accidentally put in the wrong amount of sugar. But I'm trying to cover all the bases this time, just in case.

Last edited:
Back