Bottling Runoff Sweet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B33rL0v3r

Reaction score
I just finished bottling two 5 gallon batches. On the first, I added the sugar water into the bottling bucket and then siphoned the beer on top of it. When I was done bottling from the bucket into bottles, i tasted and took the gravity of the last remaining bit and it was really sweet at 1.020 (up from 1.009). I made an effort to stir the 2nd 5 gallon batch and this didnt happen on that one.

Am I going to have uncarbonated beer? Maybe a few bottle bombs? I don't know how it wouldn't have mixed correctly since i siphoned right on top of the priming water. This ever happen to anyone else?

You might end up with some unevenness in carbonation but I wouldn't be worried about bombs unless you experience high temperature swings wherever the bottles are, because those temperature swings can cause rapid buildup of pressure as the beer releases CO2 into the headspace.

Back