Bottling Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballardinho

Reaction score
Hi all, first time brewer/bottler...a quick question for y'all.

I plan to sanitize my bottles with Star San but don't have a tree to put bottles to drain dry, nor a vinator. Any advice for where to sanitize? In bucket or sink? Then, any advice for where to place bottles after sanitized while waiting to fill with beer?

Thanks for any insight.

4 by 4 with cut off coat hangers drilled into it. Cut the straight part off and chuck it right into the drill it will bury itself into the wood.

If I bother with starsan I use a bucket, dip them, then use the dishwasher rack to drain them. Bottling with the bucket over the door of the dishwasher reduces spill clean up also.
Honestly though, I usually use the sanitize setting on my dishwasher. The steam sanitizes just fine. I wouldn't recommend it if you use a rinse aid like jet dry. They kill head retention I've read.

I dunk my bottles in Home Depot bucket of Starsan, shake them, drain them as best as possible and set them aside (upright). When I fill the bottles I let the foam escape and then cap them. Never had a tree, never had a problem.

I used the dishwasher as a drying rack for a while. It became difficult for the stars of a clean dishwasher, an open time slot, and the SWMBO blessing to line up for a smooth bottling day.

I bought the FastRacks and love them. You might be able to DIY a similar setup by drilling holes in a the lid of a plastic storage box.

I dunk my bottles in Home Depot bucket of Starsan, shake them, drain them as best as possible and set them aside (upright). When I fill the bottles I let the foam escape and then cap them. Never had a tree, never had a problem.

Dishwasher rack if I can or simply this. Starsan won't hurt anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Put starsan in a bowl or bucket. Get a rag and sanitize the dish rack. Rinse each bottle and stack them in the dish rack just like dishes.

Or spend $40 on a vinator and a bottle tree and make life easier.

I have a stainless kitchen sink. Clean it well, fill with diluted BEST (iodophor) and sink about a case of bottles in it. Remove them 12 at a time and put in dish washer rack. Fill and place loose cap on them. Crimp the 12 bottles and repeat for the next 12 until done.

Hi
this is Steve with Allinonewinepump

I have been using this method of sanitizing bottles for some years now. It works great as it produces around 50 psi and sprays all inside your bottle evenly.

If interested please contact me at
[email protected]

DSCN2142 [620x465].JPG

I used to pour Starsan from one bottle to the next when I started. It took too long, so I sprang for the 45 bottle tree & vinator. Now it goes faster & easier. Not to mention having bottles stacked on the tree in a 2 square foot space. Rather than scattered all over while dunking or pouring from one to the other.

Stack the bottles upside down in a clean bucket. Use the kitchen sink, if you bottle in the kitchen, for tilting the bucket to keep the bottles from falling over.
The Starsan solution which collects in the bucket can be poured back into your jugs for reuse.

I use my bottling bucket and wand. That way I sanitize them as well as the bottles at once.

Fill the bucket with a gallon or two if water and starsan. Rinse it around to sanitize the bucket. Attach the tubing and wand (dip the wand to sanitize the outside). Then put a few ounces of sanitizer in each bottle via the wand. I keep my bottles in boxes or crates so they can stay there while I fill them. When they all have starsan in them, shake the bottle to coat the entire inside and pour the sanitizer back in the bucket. If you shake the bottle you don't end up with much left in there. I usually pour the sanitizer into another bucket and fill a spray bottle. Then rack your beer into the bottling bucket with priming sugar solution and start filling the bottles again.

Back