Bottling Question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD1999

Reaction score
When I am bottling my beer, do I need to siphon it into a new bucket from the fermentor, or can I just use my siphon to go from the fermenter directly to the bottles? If I need to use a new bucket, can I just use my brew pot and siphon? Also, for the priming sugar, do I put sugar in each bottle or put the sugar in the wort to dissolve it?
Thanks everyone!

You can prime by adding sugar straight into the bottles or batch prime by making a solution of sugar and boiled water. If batch priming you'd want to rack/siphon to your bottling bucket onto the sugar solution so that it mixes as evenly as possible, best results from getting a swirling motion, as the beer transfers, in the bottom of the bucket.

It is possible to bottle directly from the fermentor to bottle but I'd think it'll get a bit messy if you aren't using a bottling wand, likewise if you were to use your brew pot as a bottling bucket.

Editing to add: You should be able to fit a bottling wand to the end of your siphon hose.

Priming individual bottles, esp if it is 5 gallons worth, will make you loath bottling. A bottle bucket, with priming solution as mentioned above, is really the way to go. It is easier, more enjoyable (despite having to clean an additional bucket) and gets you much clearer beer. If you bottle straight from the fermentor you're going to kick up a load of yeast. while that won't do you any real harm, it will give you either a ton of sediment in your bottles or wicked gas post drinking. Spring for the bucket and bottling wand.

I rack to a carboy for bottling. I have bottled directly from the carboy and if you're careful, you can keep the amound of yeast to less than 3/8 inch of the bottle. It's not how I prefer to do it, but it gets the job done.

When I rack to the carboy, I don't add the priming sugar until I have about a gallon of beer in there. You can just jam the funnel into the hole next to the hose and pour the solution in.

Latest posts

Back