Bottling overflow question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brif

Reaction score
Newbie bottling questionthat is probably answered many times in this forum, but here goes:

When bottling, if you ahve some overflow when filling bottles, and the beer spills over the lip of the bottle, do you need to do anything special to sanitize that, or do you just cap it and then maybe spray rinse and spray the outside with starsan ?? Will the cap seal take care of everything on the inside?
Not sure I'm making sense...

thanks

Shouldn't be a problem. Just cap it and wash off the outside so it doesn't get sticky. Also make sure to leave some head space in the bottle and not fill it all the way to the top...otherwise you will run into some problems

I've had this happen a only over my last brewing season for some reason - my bottling wand would get stuck and keep flowing. Swapped out to a fresh bottle wand and got a few instances of sticking still, weird as I almost never had that over the past 2-3 years prior. I just kept a wet folded Bounty paper towel at hand and wiped down the outside of the bottle, never a problem doing that. You definitely don't need to sanitize. Got so tired of the sticking wand and had been planning on moving to kegging I just made the switch.

Rev.

Latest posts

Back