Bottling now.. And too much priming sugar added!! help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cell

Reaction score
I'm bottling now, a ginger beer. I thought I had 1.5 gallon of beer in the carboy, so I added 1.5 oz of dextrose. But instead, I have 1 gallon of beer!

That means bottle bombs, right?

Can I add finished beer to the bucket to make 1.5 gallon?

Yes, you can...just don't splash any beer while pouring it in.

If your brew was completely done fermenting I wouldn't worry about bottle "grenades". Most of the time they are either due to an infection or it was bottled before fermentation was complete.

That's 3.6 volumes of CO2 and most glass bottles are only rated to 3 volumes so yes that's bottle bombs. If you add 39oz of non fermentatble fluid to the bottling bucket you should be safe, whether that be finished beer or water (not recommended).

Alternatively, you could let the bottles sit for 3-4 days, chill them down, uncap them to release pressure and re-cap. Just make sure to keep an eye on them!

Edit: As an afterthought, if you have EZ-Cap/Grolsch/Swing Top bottles you can leave them go and be just fine.

I poured in 5 bottles of Cream Ale, that I heated up a little to remove the carbonation. We'll see!

As an afterthought, if you have EZ-Cap/Grolsch/Swing Top bottles you can leave them go and be just fine.
why? stronger bottles?

Not absolutely sure but I think swing tops will leak out pressure when at the higher end of carbonation. Kinda like how a radiator cap works.

why? stronger bottles?

Yep, they are thicker and stronger than regular bottles. I've carbed to 3.5vols in them without an issue, I'd imagine you could go higher before the seal breaks and releases some pressure.

Back