Bottling my first brew soon (this weekend)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIYer

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. First post here for me. I did some cider and fruit wine last year, but just recently started my first beer. As a beer newbie, I went small and cheap for my first one (Munton's Wheat Beer, a pre-hopped LME kit but with better yeast than the one included). I started it last Wednesday (May 22) and fermentation was completed in 3-4 days. I left it in the primary rather than racking to secondary, and as it's a wheat, from what I've read, I think I can bottle it this weekend, about 10 days after pitching the yeast. Or should I wait until at least 14 days?

Either way, when I am ready to bottle, should I cold crash it since I didn't rack to secondary? I've seen differing opinions on this for wheat beers. I know they are supposed to be cloudy and cold crashing likely won't affect that. But I thought (maybe incorrectly) that it might help compact the yeast cake at the bottom, making it less likely to be stirring up when bottling. Yes or no?

And if I do cold crash, do I do it in the primary fermenter or after transferring to the bottling bucket and for how long?

Thanks everyone! This is my first but won't be my last. I'm looking at a dunkel for next time...

For wheats I still cold cash but just for for 24-36 hours. At 10 days you are probably fine but since your bottling I’d make sure you have hit your OG and it’s stayed there for a few days before bottling.

For wheats I still cold cash but just for for 24-36 hours. At 10 days you are probably fine but since your bottling I’d make sure you have hit your OG and it’s stayed there for a few days before bottling.
Thank you, Virginia Ranger. The yeast I used was Munich Classic, which is a fast fermenting one, I think, usually done in about 4 days. I will check the FG again, but after 3.5 days it had gone from 1.040 (a little on the low side--newbie mistake) to 1.010, so I figured it was almost done. That reading was 5 days ago, but I will take one now and maybe again tomorrow. Thanks for that reminder!

I rechecked and the SG is still 1.010. So I guess my plan is to cold crash in the primary beginning now, and bottle on Sunday. Wish me luck!

I just had to add an update. I opened the mini fridge to check on the temp before going to bed, and it smelled strongly of banana! (I did an open fermentation, just covering with muslin.) I keep reading about banana and clove esters in wheat beers, but I have never noticed them in ANY commercial beer I've had, ever. I'm kinda excited about this batch now!

American brewers rarely ferment on the banana side for wheats. Go grab a bottle of Franzishaner Weissbier, or similar actual German/Bavarian wheat. The banana esters will smack you in the forehead as soon as you open the bottle. I LOVE Bavarian wheats :)

With most wheat yeasts, as you ferment above 68F ish, you get more banana. Below 68F ish makes more clove. In the middle gets a little of each. This however totally depends on the yeast strain you used and some will generate one or the other esters no matter what you do with it.

With most wheat yeasts, as you ferment above 68F ish, you get more banana. Below 68F ish makes more clove. In the middle gets a little of each. This however totally depends on the yeast strain you used and some will generate one or the other esters no matter what you do with it.

Hmmm...the first 3 days was at 65-68, then I let it warm a tiny bit to 70/71. SG was already at 1.010 when I let it warm up. I used Munich Classic yeast.

Today is bottling day! Off to watch some videos, so I have somewhat of a clue....

Last edited:
A bottling tip— I have in the past as a newbie, run into some bottles being oxidized. It was my process, (starting and stopping syphon) so what I do now is use a couple differently shaped/colored bottles for starting the flow of the bottle, which I have attached to tubing, and for when I get to the end of the bucket. I mark those as testers to be opened first and if there was oxidation activity in the process it doesn’t have a chance to progress and taste terrible. Also you’ll want to be mindful that your priming sugar gets well mixed, which happens without stirring when you can get your tubing set up to whirlpool.

Hi, everyone. First post here for me. I did some cider and fruit wine last year, but just recently started my first beer. As a beer newbie, I went small and cheap for my first one (Munton's Wheat Beer, a pre-hopped LME kit but with better yeast than the one included). I started it last Wednesday (May 22) and fermentation was completed in 3-4 days. I left it in the primary rather than racking to secondary, and as it's a wheat, from what I've read, I think I can bottle it this weekend, about 10 days after pitching the yeast. Or should I wait until at least 14 days?

Either way, when I am ready to bottle, should I cold crash it since I didn't rack to secondary? I've seen differing opinions on this for wheat beers. I know they are supposed to be cloudy and cold crashing likely won't affect that. But I thought (maybe incorrectly) that it might help compact the yeast cake at the bottom, making it less likely to be stirring up when bottling. Yes or no?

And if I do cold crash, do I do it in the primary fermenter or after transferring to the bottling bucket and for how long?

Thanks everyone! This is my first but won't be my last. I'm looking at a dunkel for next time...
first of all welcome to HBT and congratulations on making your first brew . in jest, i'm glad it wasnt an NEIPA or IPA.
I would wait out the fermentation to the full 2 weeks . Try not to rush your brewing procedures, one day can make a big difference in the outcome if its not come to final gravity . Did you buy a hydrometer/test jar(graduated cylinder without graduations)? Because if you didnt , you certainly should and know how to use it , calibrate it. protect it like its a newborn baby. nobody wants broken or cracked glass to ruin their brew day. I keep mine in the container it came in ,wrapped in foam pipe insulation and store it in a hard "brief" case from harbor freight ($14 ) Same as a good thermometer, I still use a glass floater.
RDWAHAHB ! Youre on your way to a very enjoyable (albeit expensive as you want it) hobby .

American brewers rarely ferment on the banana side for wheats. Go grab a bottle of Franzishaner Weissbier, or similar actual German/Bavarian wheat. The banana esters will smack you in the forehead as soon as you open the bottle. I LOVE Bavarian wheats :)

good advice. This is why I brew my hefs in the spring or fall so my basement stays consistently cool and the banana /clove flavors are at a good balance. .

first of all welcome to HBT and congratulations on making your first brew . in jest, i'm glad it wasnt an NEIPA or IPA.
I would wait out the fermentation to the full 2 weeks . Try not to rush your brewing procedures, one day can make a big difference in the outcome if its not come to final gravity . Did you buy a hydrometer/test jar(graduated cylinder without graduations)? Because if you didnt , you certainly should and know how to use it , calibrate it. protect it like its a newborn baby. nobody wants broken or cracked glass to ruin their brew day. I keep mine in the container it came in ,wrapped in foam pipe insulation and store it in a hard "brief" case from harbor freight ($14 ) Same as a good thermometer, I still use a glass floater.
RDWAHAHB ! Youre on your way to a very enjoyable (albeit expensive as you want it) hobby .

I'm guessing you wrote this before reading the whole thread, as I mentioned my SG readings a couple of times. Not sure how anyone could measure that other than with a hydrometer, which I do have and use. :) And a nice glass cylinder I got after discovering I couldn't read thru the crappy nearly opaque plastic cylinder that came with the first cheap one I got.

Also, the beer was put in the fridge to cold crash on Saturday, so no more fermentation. Today is the day!

Hopp2berry, thanks for the tip. I have a spring-tip bottling wand and a bottling bucket, but I think your suggestion is a good one, even though I'm not siphoning into the bottles.

Last edited:
Back