Bottling mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drigg

Reaction score
I have a large number of 22oz beer bottles sitting around. Is there any problems or issues letting mead age in these?

Well for mead that you are planning to age any length of time I think corking would be better than capping.........only issue I can think of. You can cork beer bottles. It's a good idea actually, I like to bottle my sweet and specialty meads in the 375 ml bottles for gifting and smaller servings. I'm not sure of the conversion but they must be close to same size?

No reason why not. If you're concerned about any airspace, just source some of the oxygen absorbing caps.

And of course, keep them stood upright, as there's enough water in the mead to rust a steep cap.

Just be aware that not all caps, and not all cappers, are created equal. All of the commercially available caps today have a bonded rubber gasket on them, so rust shouldn't be a problem at all. Not all caps will seal tightly, and not all cappers will crimp sufficiently to ensure a good, tight seal, no matter how tight you press on the levers.

If you're using beer brew equipment, make sure that you've tried it a time or two holding the pressure of carb'd beer. Lots of the dual lever cappers don't really crimp all that tightly, but all of the stand cappers seem to get excellent reviews.

If you choose to cork, ensure that the INSIDE of the neck of the bottles that you choose to use are in fact straight, and not tapered. Otherwise, the cork will only be holding at the very top. Try both 8 and 9 corks with a sample, and see which one actually gives you the best seal over a few days worth of soak time with some test water or whatever. (I recently got two cases of bottles (same as I've always used) that don't seal worth a darn with #8s, had to move up to #9s to get a whole cork seal).

I've used the same inexpensive, plastic hand operated double lever capper for 6 years, and I've never lost carbonation. I do use oxygen absorbing caps; FWIW, although I've heard arguments that they aren't worth the extra money, I still use them most of the time. I do have a stash of 'standard' caps that I use for low grav session beers that I expect will be drank quickly with minimal aging time.

I have bottled mead in both 12 oz longnecks (I've actually started a practice of bottling at least a 6 pack of each batch in longnecks for sending to competitions), as well as 22 oz bombers, and they seem to work just fine.

I remember reading somewhere around here that caps may actually be better than corks, but I don't remember the whole argument. In my practice, they are at least as good...

Back