Bottling Jamil's Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteNice

Reaction score
So I brewed the belgian wit beer recipe from Jamil Janishev's (is that how you spell it, the book is upstairs) "Brewing Classic Styles", but there aren't any directions for bottling. The airlock is still showing a bubble once every 8 or 9 seconds, and has been in the fermenter for 2 weeks, should I wait till all the bubbling has stopped, or is it good to bottle today? Has anyone bottled this beer before? If so what's the process, as far as adding sugar for bottle conditioning, etc.

Thanks!

Pete

Attachments

• Wit.jpg
    Wit.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 83
Take a gravity ready a few days apart and if the final reading doesn't change its time to bottle.

Is that the correct picture? That looks waaaaaay dark for a wit.

Don't bottle until it's definitely done fermenting. The Wit yeast from White Labs can be slow sometimes, if that's what you used.

Yup, that pic is right - I thought that too and was like "ah crap did I screw this up?" Then I read that because I wasn't doing all-grain, the LME I used would make the brew really dark. I actually tried a bottle this past weekend, and it carbonated beautifully. It's not as flavorful as I hoped, but I think that's because I screwed up the fermentation in the beginning when the yeast went wild. It tastes ok, but I could have done better. Hopefully some more flavors will develop as it ages.

Back