Bottling in bombers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brackbrew

Reaction score
On Sunday, I'm going to be bottling a special brew to commemorate the birth of our first child. I'm going to be using bombers (22oz bottles) for the first time. Do I need to be concerned with leaving additional headspace or should I use the bottling wand volume for headspace as usual?

Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use the same bottling wand, same method filling, regardless of 12, 16, 22, 500ml or 750ml bottle size. I've never seen a difference in carbonation or head retention for the different bottles. The headspace left is pretty much the same for the different bottles and even though they contain varying liquid volumes, I've not noticed anything different in carbonation, carbonation time, etc.

Only difference is bombers take a little longer to carb. Everything else, including head space, is the same.

I use the same bottling wand, same method filling, regardless of 12, 16, 22, 500ml or 750ml bottle size. I've never seen a difference in carbonation or head retention for the different bottles. The headspace left is pretty much the same for the different bottles and even though they contain varying liquid volumes, I've not noticed anything different in carbonation, carbonation time, etc.

Same here. All bottle sizes using the same wand and have never had any bad experiences or under/over carbed beers. Bottle away as normal.

I've had some carb in 1 week, some take 4, depends on beer style, priming sugar used, and weather. I don't have temp controlled bottle conditioning cabinet, it just sits in coolers, just in case of loose caps or overcarb issues (I don't use the ottle-bay omb-bay term in case it freaks out those in my house with delicate sensibilities)

I've had some carb in 1 week, some take 4, depends on beer style, priming sugar used, and weather. I don't have temp controlled bottle conditioning cabinet, it just sits in coolers, just in case of loose caps or overcarb issues (I don't use the ottle-bay omb-bay term in case it freaks out those in my house with delicate sensibilities)

It's a Fuller's ESB clone, using corn sugar and will be in a dark cellar around 62f

It's a Fuller's ESB clone, using corn sugar and will be in a dark cellar around 62f

62 might be a little cool to carb up in 3 weeks. In the winter (indoor temp 66) my carb times extend out a week or two when compared to the summer (indoor temp 75). I would get them up to 70-74 personally.

62 might be a little cool to carb up in 3 weeks. In the winter (indoor temp 66) my carb times extend out a week or two when compared to the summer (indoor temp 75). I would get them up to 70-74 personally.

Duly noted, and thanks everyone!

How much longer on average? Bottling on Sunday, baby is due July 3...

I'd say 3 weeks max.. assuming you're in a common gravity range and temperature. I've done 500ml at 2 weeks, was fully carbed.

But if a little premature, I don't know..... :D
I'm July 2nd, so you'll have to let us know!

EDIT: Missed the 62F post :S 3 weeks might be cutting it close, don't hope for a prem-ee

I'd say 3 weeks max.. assuming you're in a common gravity range and temperature. I've done 500ml at 2 weeks, was fully carbed.

But if a little premature, I don't know..... :D

I'm July 2nd, so you'll have to let us know!

Congrats! A good friend is doing a label for me for the occasion. Hope to post it soon.

+1. I used to carb in cellar, nice even 60-ish (62-65). It's too cold. Move carbing to upstairs and carb up no issue (68-70) in 2-4 weeks. I generally do low ABV English style requiring little carb to begin with, I'm doing a Hefe now that will take more priming sugar and likely a bit more time. But temp is your main objective. As BierMuncher so aptly said, 21 days, 70 degrees (repeat).

Back