Bottling green beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ishkabibble

Reaction score
I was intending to bottle a 3-week old dark ale, but a sample of it tasted slightly yeasty, thin and sharp--green, I guess. (I hit my target gravity, temps were fine and my pitching rate was right.)

Will these things even out after 3 weeks bottle conditioning?

Or should a beer always taste like you had intended before you bottle it?

It wouldn't hurt to let the beer sit on the yeast another week in your FV. This additional time will allow for the yeast to clean up a bit and improve on clarity of your beer. Also, most (if not all) beer will improve in taste after a period of bottle conditioning. Not only does carbonation take place in the 2-3 weeks in the bottle, but also flavor profiles develop and mature as part of the aging process. It should only improve with a little time. Cheers!

I was intending to bottle a 3-week old dark ale, but a sample of it tasted slightly yeasty, thin and sharp--green, I guess. (I hit my target gravity, temps were fine and my pitching rate was right.)

OK this is a trick I kinda made up kinda... its called dosage. If you have a stuck fermentation which I think u do this will help... boil 3 cups of water and add DME or corn sugar ( simple sugars work the best about half a pound of simple sug rnow chill to about 90 degrees and add to your wort. The simple sugars hyper activate the yeast because its so simple to digest and the hot water should bring the wort up slightly up reactivating the yeast

Beers change flavor with time...time in the fermenter and time in the bottle.

You say that you hit your target gravity but it that really the final gravity? I just had a pale ale that hit the target gravity at two weeks (1.016) so I dry hopped it intending to leave it for a week and then bottle but the yeast had different ideas and started fermenting again and when they quit for good, the final gravity was at 1.002. I sure am glad that I didn't bottle before the yeast were really done. Verify that your yeast are done with another hydrometer reading in a couple more days. It won't hurt your beer to sit in the fermenter for a longer period of time, 4 weeks is nothing.

ishkabibble said:

Hydrometer readings on successive days are the best way to make sure your yeast is done. Bottling before then is generally a bad plan. Personally I would let it spend a little more time in the fermenter if you haven't bottled already. Longer bottle conditioning will help. As another poster has already said, the beer will change over time no matter what vessel it's in.

OK this is a trick I kinda made up kinda... its called dosage. If you have a stuck fermentation which I think u do this will help... boil 3 cups of water and add DME or corn sugar ( simple sugars work the best about half a pound of simple sug rnow chill to about 90 degrees and add to your wort. The simple sugars hyper activate the yeast because its so simple to digest and the hot water should bring the wort up slightly up reactivating the yeast
i don't believe i have a stuck fermentation (1048 to 1007), but i dig your trick. i had a stuck fermentation last month, and could only think to add more yeast. i'll hang on to your sugar-water trick, thanks!

Beers change flavor with time...time in the fermenter and time in the bottle.

You say that you hit your target gravity but it that really the final gravity? I just had a pale ale that hit the target gravity at two weeks (1.016) so I dry hopped it intending to leave it for a week and then bottle but the yeast had different ideas and started fermenting again and when they quit for good, the final gravity was at 1.002. I sure am glad that I didn't bottle before the yeast were really done. Verify that your yeast are done with another hydrometer reading in a couple more days. It won't hurt your beer to sit in the fermenter for a longer period of time, 4 weeks is nothing.
So is it safe to say that once a beer's fermentation is done i can bottle it, as it will mellow just the same in bottles as in a carboy? Or should i wait until it tastes like it's supposed to taste?

i realize that longer secondary storage before bottling won't hurt anything, but i'm trying to streamline my process into replicable models, and editing out redundancies would result in many more beers with which i can numb myself to the existential crises of our modern slog. (sniff)

i guess i'm looking for someone to chime in with some addage like, "never bottle yer brew if it still tastes raw", if such an addage exists. or "six weeks is as good as it gets, regardless of the vessel, homie".

many thanks

Back