bottling from the keg tap..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvs-brew

Reaction score
Ive searched around and could not find the answer anywhere so if anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated..

now i forgot to bottle any beer from the fermenter, out it straight into the keg.. stupid mistake!
i want to bottle and save some for compitions etc, now i have 1 of the fillers pictured below

m58mv9ttdmwA4tZVqXCazLw.jpg

BUT each time ive tried to bottle, ive ended up with initally lots of head and then flat beer,

my question is, can i add some priming sugar/carbonation drops to the bottles when filling OR will the already slightly carbonated beer in combination with the priming sugar result in me having gushers or bottle bombs?

what would be my best option (without buying more equipment)?

what about letting it go flat again then carbonate via priming sugars etc?

I have bottled beer just fine and stays good for sometime. What I usually do is up the carbonation just a bit a couple days before i want to bottle off some, then release most of the pressure in the keg and turn the pressure down to around 2-3, so the beer just goes out real slow. You should be able to bottle just fine that way with what you have pictured. I would put that in the fridge for awhile before using it so it's cold when you go to bottle and you don't get a ton of foam. Anyways, you will probably lose a bit of beer from a small bit of foam but you should be able to fill the beer up and it should last fine that way. If that doesn't work, you can take the keg out of the fridge, let it warm up and release pressure and let it go flat pretty much, then bottle with the above thing and carb with sugar?
Good luck

ok so bump it up to 15/20psi prior??

and then back down to about 2/3psi when bottling??

that sounds doable..

The answer is posted right above you in the stickies! All props given to BierMuncher. We no need no stinking beer gun. Picnic tap with a autosiphon tube stuck in with a #2 stopper. I only bottle during Christmas at the Winter solstice and at the Summer solstice for a beer exchange with fellow brewers. 'aka' foamhenge. Some of the beer bottled this way was not consumed until months later, and still had great carbonation, not by me, by the way. I also use a larger stopper to fill my growlers, because they retain carbonation way better than just "foaming them over when filling".

Using what you have combined with the BierMuncher gizmo will make filling bottles and growlers a piece of cake.

I have one of the growler fillers in your photo. It's fine for filling plastic bottles 1L-2L in size, squeezing the foam out and pressuring with a carbonator cap. It does not work well for filling 12oz glass bottles.

As mentioned already, for that, you need this - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/. I put one together and have had good success filling lots of bottles from the kegs.

Back