Bottling From Keg Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMannion87

Reaction score
Hi all,

I wanted to run down my current plan with you all before actually executing it. I'm getting ready to help my girlfriend bottle a 5 gallon raspberry cider I helped her make that's currently in the secondary with 2.5 lbs of raspberries. My plan is as follows:

Add 5 Campden tablets and 2.5 tsp Potassium Sorbate to the secondary to kill any leftover yeast. Let this do it's work for three days. Taste the cider and back sweeten if need using apple juice concentrate. Rack to keg and force carbonate for one week or more. Fill bottles using homemade BMBF.

Does this plan look alright? My main concerns are adding the Campden and Potassium Sorbate to the secondary with the fruit. Also, I don't want to end up giving my girlfriend 50 bottle bombs. Thoughts?

If you keep refrigerated, you don't need any additives. The colder the bottle the less active the yeast until they finally shut down and wait until warmer temps. I'm not exactly sure if that temp but I never made a bomb as long as I kept in the fridge and I've done several fruit added ciders.
Adding the chemicals is no absolute you won't make bombs. It doesn't kill the yeast, more like a dormancy.
Pasteurizing is the only sure way

You also need to get the cider off the yeast cake before you use chemicals or backsweeten.

Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned that I did rack the cider off the yeast and it's currently sitting in the secondary on fruit. Maybe I will just make to to refrigerate both cases instead of adding the campden/sorbate...

I did something similar. I had some white spots on top of mine after racking to secondary, I figured I got too much oxygen when transferring with too much head space, so I racked off again and added another gallon of fresh cider, let it go for about a week, put in sorbate and sulfites and let it sit in my 40 F garage for 3 days. Its not clear, but its almost identical to angry orchard with a honey flavor to it. (cyser)

Kegged it and its delicious, but my next batch is almost finished in secondary and ready for the same so I Want to bottle what is left in my keg soon. Just curious to know what you did and how it turned out.

Back