bottling from a growler.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSR6

Reaction score
Long story short...

local brew-pub has a pomegranate beer that the fiance loves ( and ill admit, is good) and since they only have it for a short time - can you bottle it from a growler to preserve some longevity ( standard 2-3months or so ) instead of ~ week from the growler, or would it be flat from too many transfers ( tap to growler to bottle )

thanks.

....long term?

I'm thinking more than a week here. We're a big fan of build-a-sixers, so variety is key - and a couple of these could last maybe around a month...?

See if they sell by the keg. Then get a beer gun or other bottling gun option. You'll have plenty and it will likely be properly bottled and carbed as opposed to from a growler.

....long term?

I'm thinking more than a week here. We're a big fan of build-a-sixers, so variety is key - and a couple of these could last maybe around a month...?

Growlers don't last long in my household so maybe I misinterpreted your question.

And maybe I still don't understand your question, but are you asking if rebottling growlered beer for long term (1 month) storage is better than keeping it in the original growler? Are you trying to keep the growler open to refilling over that period of time maybe?

Six one, half dozen IMO. Keep it in the fridge, shouldn't make that much of a difference over a month. I'd buy another growler bottle if that's the case.

My advice - drink it now.

short answer, no - you can't just pour or siphon it from a growler into a bottle. It'll lose most of it's carbonation and also get oxidized.
What's wrong with the growler than you can't store it for very long?

See if they sell by the keg. Then get a beer gun or other bottling gun option. You'll have plenty and it will likely be properly bottled and carbed as opposed to from a growler.

Heck see if the will sell you the Brewery that way you would always have as much as you want.

OP it's an interesting question you would have to be able to set up a system like a keg to keg transfer. A stopper fitting the growler opening with a "gas in" and "liquid out" post with a "liquid in" to fill bottles. I see a beirmuncher bottling wand to fill the bottle. Maybe someone will chime in with a way to pressurize a growler.

could pressurize same as you would with a counterpressure bottle filler, but then you'd need a liquid out to push it to the next bottle.

Check out a "Party Pig". These have smaller volumes than a keg, but you wouldn't have to worry about re-bottling or loosing carbonation.:mug:

Check out a "Party Pig". These have smaller volumes than a keg, but you wouldn't have to worry about re-bottling or loosing carbonation.:mug:

what are you suggesting? That he has the brewpub fill his party pig or that he pours the growler into the party pig? Unlikely he could get them to fill a party pig in place of a growler, and pouring a growler into a party pig won't be much better than trying to bottle from it.

Back