Bottling first lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've brewed and bottled many ales, but tomorrow I'm planning to bottle by first lager. I'm scared of change. And temperatures are all different than I'm used to.

I don't have all the specs handy at the moment but the batch has been chilling between 35 and 37 degrees Fahrenheit for about 90 to 105 days (and still is at this moment). Once I add priming sugar and bottle, do I need to keep the bottles at 35 degrees Fahrenheit immediately or leave them at their original fermentation temp (I believe it was around 50 to 55 Fahrenheit) for 2 or 3 weeks and then chill down again?

And if I do the polar opposite of that, am I signing the beer's death certificate or just potentially changing flavors a bit?

Thanks!

Nic

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Congrats on your first lager, I love them. Bottle ferment at regular temp, 70 degrees or so. 3-4 weeks, sometimes the yeast are really sleepy. Best luck!

Thanks! I went back and checked, yeast used was wyeast 2035, recommended range is 48-58F. I'll probably set the cooler for 56-58 for a few weeks and pop a test bottle open.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back