bottling equipment and cracking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wormraper

Reaction score
ok, I don't toss my equipment around or mistreat it at all, but my wracking cane, and bottling wand all have hairline cracks running lengthwise down them and I've only had them for about a year at most..... is this common with the plastic racking equipment? should I just trash them or are they still usuable? I keep them soaking in oxyclean most of the time so they're clean as a whistle, but I'd hate to have to rebuy racking equipment every 6-8 months if this is a common thing.

No reason to keep them soaking all the time. Just clean them after use and hang it up to dry. While you can probably still use them, every little crack is a hiding spot for contaminants that might not see sanitizer.

gotcha, guess it's time for new racking stuff. only $6 to replace them both might as well grab a few feet of tubing. thought gotta wait till next time since today's botling day and the LHBS is 30 minutes away

the racking cane has only a few ones that are like an 1/8th of an inch long each up near the neck of the cane so I'll get through bottling day today. but would getting a stainless steel racking cane be worth it in the long run ?

I think this is a pretty normal occurrence on bottling wands, siphons, auto siphons and such. In my use, it doesn't seem to have any negative effects, but I do make it a point to replace this equipment every 1-2 years just to avoid the potential for contamination. I prefer the auto siphon, so I can't provide any advice about a SS racking cane...but if you're just using a standard unit, I could see how a SS model would benefit you.

I think this is a pretty normal occurrence on bottling wands, siphons, auto siphons and such. In my use, it doesn't seem to have any negative effects, but I do make it a point to replace this equipment every 1-2 years just to avoid the potential for contamination. I prefer the auto siphon, so I can't provide any advice about a SS racking cane...but if you're just using a standard unit, I could see how a SS model would benefit you.

ok, kewl, as long as it's not a flaming red warning sign that I got infections I'm good. I can replace next time I'm at the LHBS since it's been a year of using them once or twice a month anyways...

and yeah, I use the standard racking cane cuz starting a siphon with the waterfall method is insanely easy (and racking canes are only $1.99 at my store vs. the $15 for an auto siphon)

Back