Bottling EdWorts Apfelwein ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoggy

Reaction score
I will be ready to bottle up a batch of this soon. I just scored a bunch of mason jars from my father in-law. Any issues with bottling in mason jars? I will not be carbonating. -Thanks

I've never tried it, but I would worry about maintaining a good seal. Mason jars are designed to seal under vacuum pressure, which you won't have. If anything, you'll have positive pressure from residual fermentation.

If you're not planning on carbing, you might want to get some campden tablets to stop the fermentation. I bottled my last batch in the gallon bottles that the juice came in. After roughly a week, there was a substantial amount of pressure buildup. I relieved the pressure last night. I am not sure what kind of internal pressure mason jars are designedto hold.

Some good points. Maybe I will try a couple of jars to see how it goes. I thought that if it worked that it would be kind of cool to bottle this stuff in some of those pint drinking jars with the handles.

Why does everyone assume he's not carbing? Carb away, I've got a Sunny Delight
Amarillo IPA in a mason jar right now and I'm sure it'll be fizzy and good in a week.
Dose with your priming sugar and bonappetit!

Why does everyone assume he's not carbing? Carb away, I've got a Sunny Delight
Amarillo IPA in a mason jar right now and I'm sure it'll be fizzy and good in a week.

Well for one thing, he stated that he's not carbing!

Bad idea BTW, carbing in a glass container that's not designed to hold pressure. Have you got some safety glasses? ;)

I split a batch of EWs Apfelwein, half still, half carbed. The bottles that I wanted carbed, I put 3 carb tabs/12 oz bottle. At one point when I was short of bottles, I used the original Mott's juice bottle with the appropriate amount of tabs for 1 gallon. There was still enough head space at the top. Last time I checked the bottle was very taut. Thank God for plastic.

Back