Bottling dilema

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erkwist

Reaction score
My dilema is this, the wife and I will be going to stay with some friends for 2 nights starting sept. 8th and I would like to take them a gift of some of my brew. They have had my brew before(they lived next door before moving out of town) and they tend to like the odd things I make.

I have a red ale in the keg that was forced carbed and has been sitting there for 3 weeks at least. Its sitting at around 65-68 F in my basement due to my old free fridge not doing so well in the ga heat as I keep it outside. I also have a porter that was brewed last sunday (aug 15) that will get vanilla at kegging/bottling. I also have some barley wine in bottles.

I was hoping to give them 2 of each but don't know how well bottling the red and porter will go. I no longer have a bottling wand, but do have all the equipment for the BierMuncher bottling method.

What advice does anyone have on how not to loose the carbination I already have in the red ale while bottling? :confused:

I'm assuming if I give the porter its vanilla and some priming sugar and mix it up real well I shouldn't have a problem turning the co2 way down (4-5 psi) and bottling with the BM gun that way, that it should do just fine, if not please advise on this as well.

If you understand the BM bottling method then you should be good to bottle. The method is designed so that you do not lose carbonation, if you do it carefully. This method is similar to how some commercial brews are bottled, and obviously when you get those they still have some bubbles in them.

If you bottle them from the keg, still with some carbonation, then I would NOT suggest adding priming sugar to the bottles because at best they will be overcarbonated.

Thanks, don't worry the priming sugar is for the porter which is still in primary.

Latest posts

Back