bottling day ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedCheeser

Reaction score
My primary doesn't have a spigot, so I'm wondering if I should still rack from the carboy over to the bucket and then bottle from there. The reason I ask is because it seems that when you pour in the priming sugar you would have to stir it up in the carboy, which would probably kick up some of the sediment at the bottom. So I'm just wondering what some of you others are doing since I'll be bottling my first batch on Sunday...can't wait!

P.S. I learned something interesting about hydrometers...you shouldn't ever try to shake the excess water off of them. As it turns out, the weighted end is a little too much for the stem to take and it will break in half into your sink.

i'd pour the priming suger mixture(you are boiling it and cooling it right) into your bucket then rack ontop of it, then stir. so, yes rack into your bucket.

thanks for the hydrometer tip :drunk:

Yes, the priming sugar solution will be boiled and cooled.

For the hydrometer thing, yeah...that was really unfortunate and unexpected. I never even got to take the OG reading of my first beer. Oh well. I'll either leave the water alone or shake holding the heavy end next time.

Do you have a bottling wand for filling the bottles? That little device is very much worth it and makes bottling a lot easier. If you had a bottling bucket with a spigot and the wand you would not regret it.

I have what I believe you're referring to...it's a tube with a pin and is used to fill bottles by pressing the pin in on the bottom of the bottles, but since I don't have the spigot it will have to be siphon fed.

No problems at all, I have done dozens of batches exactly this way. You can actually get a little more beer out with a siphon than a spigot. Use the bucket, mixing into your carboy will defeat the purpose of letting your beer settle to clear.

That's kinda what I figured. Thanks a lot everybody for your responses. I'm looking so forward to my first brew!

Back