bottling day, just found out fermenter was open

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furstyjaymar13

Reaction score
So its bottling day for me and I have just found out my fermenter popped its lids off slightly, therefore allowing oxygen and other nasties in... is it likely to be ok? or is it ruined because of oxygen?(if it hasn't been contaminiated) ive had it fermenting since 26th january

Just having the lid cracked open a tiny bit shouldn't hurt. Nasties aren't ninja acrobats. They settle downward in the air. So if you don't see a pellicle forming, you're likely OK.

Thanks guys, it smelled good and there was no white layer so hopefully my viking brew will be ok!

When I use wlp005 I leave the lid partially off and haven't had a problem. Viking brew? Is it a certain recipe or something you crafted? sounds interesting, I've been watching the series, cheers.

alane1 - Unfortunately not, I was trying to make a little joke on my brew being 'open vessel' fermentation like what id expect from brews done way back when by vikings and less colorful folk, although reading unionrdr's link makes me want to brew just like them now, can just imagine those sweet smells :mug:

I just thought these would be interesting reading on a cold day...

It sure is...currently snowed in in Massachusetts, thanks for the links. Love that stuff. I do a lot of historic/theme based brews. Read your brew & A, congrats on the book. I'll have to check it out sometime.:mug:

Thanks, I also put in a lil brewer's humor here & there. Some recipes as well. Working on book 2 now. Cold in the teens here today instead of the 50's we were told we'd get. Still cleaning up after bottling an ESB yesterday. We have a thread on the extinct German kottbusser here as well in the general forum. You might like that one? I'm getting to like the old brews myself.

Back