Bottling/Conditioning Stage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almarks

Reaction score
Was wondering when you get to the bottling/conditioning stage if you can use a growler? Like a half gallon growler with screw top. Will it carbonate correctly and hold? See pic

image-1145844412.jpg

Short answer: No.

Slightly longer answer: Do a search, this has been discussed extensively.

Short answer: No.

Slightly longer answer: Do a search, this has been discussed extensively.

thanks for the good reply, evrose. considering nearly every facet of home brewing has been discussed on this forum at one time or another, i suppose there is never a need for a beginner brewer to pose a question.

you could carbonate in your growler (assuming your twist off is air tight), but i would not recommend it. a half-gallon seems a little too big and a little too risky in which to carbonate. a 12 oz bottle bomb is a nasty surprise...i wouldn't want to be on the other end of a half gallon bottle bomb.

From my understanding. Growlers are meant to hold beer after its conditioned and carbonated. A lot of the Ale houses here in NYC let us bring them in to get filled.

brewski08 said:
thanks for the good reply, evrose. considering nearly every facet of home brewing has been discussed on this forum at one time or another, i suppose there is never a need for a beginner brewer to pose a question.

you could carbonate in your growler (assuming your twist off is air tight), but i would not recommend it. a half-gallon seems a little too big and a little too risky in which to carbonate. a 12 oz bottle bomb is a nasty surprise...i wouldn't want to be on the other end of a half gallon bottle bomb.

The glass growlers are made of is not really rated to hod the pressure of carbonating a beer and could explode. They are designed to hold a set volume of already carbonated liquid for short term and serve. It's just not a good idea;)

I appreciate the replies everyone. Probably not gonna try this, sounds pretty risky.....
Alex

Back