Bottling cheaper brews in 40's?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidSteel

Reaction score
I was going to make a cheap (low ABV) session beer and since I don't have a keg system and I have a bunch of 40oz bottles lying around, do you think I could use these to bottle with (screw caps)?

Since they are low ABV, I know I'd be opening at least 3 of them in a drinking session and I figured using a 40oz would be easier and more convenient.

That's exactly what I have done with 2 liter bottles so 40's should work just fine. If you plan on bottle conditioning I would be conservative. I seriously doubt that glass would with stand any serious pressure.

I don't think you could get dependable screw tops to fit on a beer bottle, though. If you try to cap it with regular crown caps, it may or may not work.

Soda bottles would work just fine, if you close the tops tight enough. I have heard of people breaking bottles by reusing screw top bottles with a regular bottle capper, but it might work with a bench capper.

Are we saying the original caps are long gone and going to use crown caps? Is that even possible?

Dont 40's have the same size caps as 2 liters? As far I remember they do. I havent had a 40 in about ten years though. Seems soda caps would be more dependable..

Dont 40's have the same size caps as 2 liters? As far I remember they do. I havent had a 40 in about ten years though. Seems soda caps would be more dependable..

40oz caps are smaller (like, penny-size) and just as long as 2 liter caps (at least the ones I have).

So you think just putting the priming sugar in the bottling bucket and then bottling them in a 40oz bottle would be too much pressure and cause it to explode?

40s are really only as good as the jugs brewerys call growlers. They will hold some carbination for a little while but thats about it.

What people are saying here is try it and report back. :mug:

I think it'll work fine for roughly 3 times as long as you aren't screwing the cap on constantly.

So if you have a bud that drinks 40's on a routine basis - go for it. Keep track of how many times you use each bottle (cap really - that's what'll get worn out) and when you start loosing carbonation.

What people are saying here is try it and report back. :mug:

I think it'll work fine for roughly 3 times as long as you aren't screwing the cap on constantly.

So if you have a bud that drinks 40's on a routine basis - go for it. Keep track of how many times you use each bottle (cap really - that's what'll get worn out) and when you start loosing carbonation.

Thanks, I'll probably try a test one out from a batch I'm doing soon to see how it goes.

I was going to make a cheap (low ABV) session beer and since I don't have a keg system and I have a bunch of 40oz bottles lying around, do you think I could use these to bottle with (screw caps)?

Since they are low ABV, I know I'd be opening at least 3 of them in a drinking session and I figured using a 40oz would be easier and more convenient.

I've been hanging round here for a long time,,, but I joined last night to reply to this post. I brew ,,, something,,, can't really call it beer, I call it Obama beer, (got a variation that I call Bailout-Brew, but thats another topic),,,, anyhoo, I use the 40 oz Miller bottles, They work great, never had one blow, even tho I am so low tech that sometimes I have to crack the lids on a batch that I took out too soon and then re-tighten em to let them finish. I use them over and over,,,, some have been through 10 clycles, and still hanging in there. If you think your cap is no good, just loosen one, watch the bubbles come flying up, then re-tighten it, They stop immediately. Never had one blow (YET), but am kinda looking forward that one,, LOL. I have about 80 sitting in the beer room right now, (kinda keep that many going, ya know). Really tho, they are ALOT tougher than regular 12 oz bottles....

Just wanted to report back in to say the beer in the 40's are fine, carbed fine, and I drank all 7 bottles I had in 40's already. Going to do this again with some newer bottles (or caps) with some edwort haus pale ale

Latest posts

Back