Bottling bucket woes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse17

Yep....I tell you what...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bottled my first cider last Sat. and just barely had enough for 48 - 12oz. bottles. I really wanted to have two FULL cases (I'm just anal that way). My problem was that the bottling spigot is about 1 1/2 inches above the bottom of the bottling bucket, and it sticks out into the bucket far enough that I could only get so much cider out of the bucket by tilting the bucket toward the spigot.

So I ended up using a funnel, and pouring the last bottle worth out of the top of the bottling bucket into the bottle. I'm sure I badly aerated the cider doing this, and marked the bottle as such for comparison later.

So short of starting out with more cider in the first place, what should I have done here?

What do you all do with the last little bit in the bucket...just pour it in a glass and drink it, or is there a special technique to get the last of your brew out of the bucket?

I don't think there's ever been enough left in my bottling bucket that I cared about losing it - never really measured it or anything, but it always seemed like less than a bottle, which I'm not going to lose any sleep over...

I use a secondary then transfer to my bottling bucket, so I have no problem laying it over till I get every drop I can out of my bottling bucket.

Same thing happened with my cider, and did not taste any diffrence with it at all It will be fine now when I make it I buy an extra half gallon to get it up over the 5 Gal mark JIC. As far as whats left, Drink it dont waste it.:D

There's only, maybe, 3-4 oz max left in my bottling bucket. Unless its what I need to finish filling the last bottle, I drink it or toss it.

this hobby involves losing liquid. every time you rack, you lose some.

Back