Bottling Bucket OK in a ice bath?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M@!

Reaction score
In an effort to keep temps down I plan on using an ice bath for my next batch. My only worries is if water will be able to seep through the spigot of the bottling bucket I am using for my primary into the wort. Should I be worried or just toss the bucket into the ice bath?

Why are you using your bottling bucket for your primary???

Do yourself a favor and have a dedicated bottling bucket....and dedicated fermenters.

Having said that...If you insist on doing it then, get a spray bottle of sanitizer, a couple of sandwhich bags, a q-tip and a couple of rubberbands. Soak your q-tip in sanitiser and stick it into the spigot to get sanitizer in there. Then thoroughly spray the spigot with sanitizer. Soak rubberbands and baggies in sanitizer. Then wrap spigot assembly with the plastic baggie and rubberband it tightly...When you pull your primary out of the water repeat the steps backwards, spraying baggie with sanitizer before removing, spraying spigot and then q-tipping the inside of the spigot with sanitizer...

I think after you do that, you'll see it's a Pita to use a spigoted bucket as a fermenter if you want to use submersion temp control.

The rules of physics (and the design of plastic swivel spigots) tell me that if you can put 5 gallons of wort/beer into the bucket and it doesn't leak OUT, then putting it into an icebath wouldn't cause anything to leak IN. If you want, go the extra mile and use Rev's idea. Personally, though, just make sure nothing is leaking out before you put it into the bath. As long as the level of the wort in the bucket is close to or greater than the level of the icewater on the outside of the bucket, the pressure should be equal or greater than that which would allow leaking-in. And if the level of the icewater was HIGHER than the level of the wort, then, well, the bucket would probably start to float :( You're all good. You've got positive pressure as long as, like I said, the water level is lower than the wort level. As such, if you opened up the spigot to full while it was submerged, you'd actually get leakage OUT, until the two levels equalized.

My concern is water getting into the mouth of the spigot and sitting there for a few weeks, then when you open the spigot your beer is going to be touching the remnants of that water as it is flowing out. If there is any bacteria growing in your water bath over the few weeks (an I now know from experience that there is, especially aecetobactor from fruitflies drowning in my swamp cooler...see the fruitfly thread) the the water that is touching the spigot is not going to be clean....That's why I sanitize and seal it, and re-sanitize after. Water will flow into any gaps it finds.

Although Even make a great point, I'm not concerned with water getting into the wort through the spigot, or into the fermenter...It's what happens when we use the spigot to get the beer out of the bucket (which is why I assume the OP is using a spigoted fermenter to begin with.)

If I were siphoning out of that bucket anyway and not planning to use the spigot, I would be less concerned with sanitization, and would probably just wrap it in a baggie or tinfoil, but not bother with the sanitizer.

When I was working on the AG in mr beer stuff, and having the mr beer in a swamp cooler, I went through that rigamorole, begause I would be using the spigot to rack out of the brown keg.

I have one 6 gallon for a primary but I want to brew more than one batch and a time and figured I would use the bottling bucket until I score more bottles. My spigot leaks a tiny bit , thus the reason I was a little concerned. I didn't even think about the pressure difference, that definitely makes sense. I will probably be racking to a secondary but I'll probably ziploc the spigot just to be save. Thanks for your replies.

I have one 6 gallon for a primary but I want to brew more than one batch and a time and figured I would use the bottling bucket until I score more bottles. My spigot leaks a tiny bit , thus the reason I was a little concerned. I didn't even think about the pressure difference, that definitely makes sense. I will probably be racking to a secondary but I'll probably ziploc the spigot just to be save. Thanks for your replies.

If you know your spigot leaks, then you definitely want to use my method and sanitize, sanitize, sanitize!!!:mug:

I'm going to head to lowes in a little bit, see if I can find any PET buckets. Maybe swing by the bakery shop at Target see what they have too.

As long as you get food grade plastic, any 6.5 + gallon bucket will do. Drill a hole in the lid, and insert drilled rubber stopper and an airlock.

Buckets are $16.99 at my LHBS, I'll see what I can find around town.

Check out diners, bakeries, fast food joints, school cafeterias and anywhere else that preps and prepares food. Food grade buckets, with lids, usually for free.

Just don't use pickle buckets to ferment in. That stink never comes out. I use those for holding gear and sanitizing solution.

And fishing.

Latest posts

Back