bottling bucket as a primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could if you need to, but the spigot is a bit hard to clean, so you may not want it in contact with beer for long periods of time. Also, it can be easy to accidentally turn the spigot on, leading to a puddle of beer on the floor.

Bad idea.

1. Proper buckets are pretty cheap.
2. Would you willingly put a spigot in your primary? Me neither.
3. Extra opportunity for infections; more surfaces, nooks, and crannies to clean.
4. Someone here described an accident, a few months ago, in which he rigged up a blowoff tube into a jug of sanitizer. Then, when fermentation was done, he forgot to remove the tube when he started bottling. It sucked all the sanitizer into the bucket as he bottled. Yes, he made a mistake. But it was the proverbial "accident waiting to happen."

Just get yourself another bucket. You won't regret it.

Just get another ale pail. Why would you want to tie up your bottling bucket for fermenting anyway?

I installed a spigot on my fermentation bucket and now use both as bottling buckets! Of course I also use both as fermenting buckets too- My Oatmeal Stout with S04 didn't need a secondary (formed a hard compact yeast cake) and could pour every single drop out of the bottle.

LHBS sells kits with only one bucket. A 6 or 7 gallon bottleing bucket. I went to get a fermeting bucket and he said that is all they carry anymore. I expressed my unhappyness.

Like the others have said, the valves tend to leak, and have a lot of places for unclean things to hide. I think you would be better off not.

What do you all use your bottling bucket for when you keg?

Decoration? I think most keggers still bottle the ocasional batch. I know I do. When I brew something that needs lots of time aging (6 months +), then I bottle it. Taking up keg space with that is not acceptable to me.

The valve on my bottling bucket leaks. I would advise against using it as a primary.

Plus, if there's one piece of equipment that I'd worry about keeping clean, it's the spigot. With the thread & spout, I'd imagine it's pretty easy to get dirt/grime stuck in there without even knowing it. Why risk possible infection if you don't have to? The less pieces of equipment that come into contact with the wort the better your chances of avoiding possible contamination issues.

Buckets are pretty cheap. I'd just invest in one without a spigot.

It will work in a bind. I've used it a few times. There's really no harm. But, the spigots are cheap and will leak eventually. Also, the rubber gaskets tend to get stained and the threads get pretty gunked up from the wort and trub over time.

Any thoughts on using the bottling bucket as another primary?

Any specific reason for this or just asking? Better bottles can come with a racking adapter so it functions like a SS conical in terms of being able to drain it without getting trub/yeast. More expensive however and I cannot atest to its cleanliness.

I recently used my bottling bucket as a primary. Now, normally I would not advise this, but since I didnt' have any other option, I removed the spigot and cleaned the bucket well. Then I took apart the spigot and cleaned and sanitized that very well.

After re-assembling, I added wort and yeast and put on the floor with a small towel under the spigot to catch the drips. Luckily, it did not leak.

But, those spigots are notorious for leaking eventually, especially if you take them apart a few times (and you HAVE to take them apart to clean them well!). I had a spare spigot or two on hand just in case mine got too grubby or leaked too much, but so far have not had to install the spares.

I have a couple of carboys but I did my first several batches with a Coopers 30 liter plastic fermenter that has a spigot. I actually kind of like it with the screw on lid and you can take the spigot off and soak it.

Fermenter.jpg

What do you all use your bottling bucket for when you keg?

I use mine to help aerate the wort. I dump my wort into the sanitized bottling bucket, top off with cool water and then attach my siphon sprayer to a short section of tubing attached to the spigot. Works great for me.

i have used my bottleing bucket as a primary for quite a few brews. never had a problem disinfecting it. i just take it apart and make sure its clean only take a minute or 2.

Yeah I have a couple of buckets with spigots I use as fermenters. Looking forward to retiring them soon as I hate dealing with the spigots.

Back