Bottling Barleywine -- extra yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad

Reaction score
I brewed a 1.104 English barleywine on December 17. I racked it to a secondary carboy after 3 weeks. It had dropped to 1.020, which is about where I expected it to end up. It has been in secondary for 6 weeks now, and I think I'll have time to bottle it next week. I plan on letting it age until about Christmas.

At 11%ABV and after six weeks in secondary, is there enough viable yeast to carbonate the beer? Do I need to pitch a couple of grams of Safale US-05 or Nottingham when I add my priming sugar or is there enough viable yeast to carb it up properly between now and Christmas? This is my first really big beer, so I'm a little unsure about how much abuse my yeast can take and still convert sugar to CO2.

Thanks,
Chad

Chances are there is just enough yeast left to carbonate the beer. However, I would re-yeast just to be sure that the beer will carbonate.

I'd go ahead and reyeast prior to bottling. Simply rehydrate a packet of US-05 and add it to the brew no more than three days before bottling an you'll be all set. A little insurance never hurts.

Thanks for asking this one! I'm bottling a barleywine tomorrow that's about 9.6%.
OG = 1.083 SG
FB =10.2 Brix
FG = 1.014 SG (calculated from FB)

I too am waiting a few months to start consuming. First taste will be mid-September.

I guess I'll be adding some yeast to help with carbonation.

Back