Bottling apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashbyp

Reaction score
Hi -

Can you bottle carbonated apfelwein in normally corked wine bottles? Ie: not champagne bottles? Or will the pressure force the cork out?

Cheers!

Wine bottles are not designed to hold carbonated liquids. You are asking for disaster if you try to carbonate in a wine bottle. But, you can bottle still apfelwien in wine bottles, and it's a nice change sometimes...

OK - glad I asked :)

Is it possible to re-cork champagne bottles?

Wine bottles are not designed to hold carbonated liquids. You are asking for disaster if you try to carbonate in a wine bottle. But, you can bottle still apfelwien in wine bottles, and it's a nice change sometimes...

Is it the actual glass or is it because it's a cork and not a champaign wire twister top?

I'm not an expert, but I believe the bottle isn't designed to hold pressure like a beer or champagne bottle, so I guess the answer is the glass, not the corking method. I have bottled some apfewien from a carbonated keg into wine bottles with screw caps without issues, but by the time I get the caps on, there isn't a lot of carbonation left in the bottles. I wouldn't try priming them ;)

Well, the reason you don't carbonate in wine bottle is both- the glass isn't designed to hold pressure, but I can guarantee you that the corks will pop out before the glass explodes. I've talked to a few people who bottled wine too early, and the corks all popped in the cellars. But, as Pete was saying, even if you capped with a bottle cap, it wouldn't hold up. Then the glass would explode.

For carbonated drinks, I've used plastic PET bottles, beer bottles, soda bottles, etc. They've all worked fine.

last I checked a champagne bottle takes the larger cap - maybe it was just the bottle I found?? my neighbors seem to put a lot of champagne bottles in the recycleing...they'd be great for apfelwein or mead...

yeah, standard wine bottles are not for carbonated beverages because the glass is too thin + the cork will come out (compare a wine cork w/a champage cork) but a champagne bottle will work...

I save all my belgian style brew bottles that use the cork & cage assembly. My LHBS will rent you a monster size corker for the day, so I'm planning on bottling my FrankenSaison in those bottles and letting them go for a little while.

Those are almost the only bottles I try and keep anymore.

The Martinelli's sparkling applejuice bottles take a standard bottlecap. I like using those for wine and mead. I've also been the victim of wine bottles popping because the wine wasn't fully degassed :( Blackberry mead all over the place.

Latest posts

Back