Bottling Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishnutz

Reaction score
New brewer here.

I have a couple of questions about bottling EdWort's Apfelwein...

What is the best method (ingredient breakdown, boiling, etc.)

How long after you bottle it should you wait to consume?

Appreciate the feedback.

I just bottled mine in beer bottles and caps. In fact this is just the right stuff to put in those bottles that you don't really want to put your best beers into, like the clear Corona ones or the green Heineken ones.
P1020813.JPG

I just bottled mine still, so I didn't worry about anything besides making sure the bottles and caps were sanitized, as well as the bottling bucket and accessories. If you're planning on bottle conditioning for a sparkling Apfelwein then you'll be needing to mix up a cup or two of water and 3/4 cup, or 4-5oz, of corn sugar in a pot on the stovetop. Bring it to a boil and then let cool and add to your bottling bucket before racking your Apfelwein in there. Basically exactly like you'd do for beer.

Fishnutz said:
This may be a stupid question...could you bottle it without adding the corn sugar? I'm guessing that you just wouldn't get a carbonated bottle of cider???
Exactly what I did. Just make sure everything's really clean and put it in the bottles, then cap 'em.

Fishnutz said:
This may be a stupid question...could you bottle it without adding the corn sugar? I'm guessing that you just wouldn't get a carbonated bottle of cider???

Yeah, that's about what would happen. Or at least, a much less carbonated cider, depending on how fully attenuated it was when you bottled it. Something else you can do is use more apple juice instead of corn sugar. Tastes better, IMHO, and you can drink it sooner.

Back