Bottling apfelwein: oxidation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncleozzy

Reaction score
So I fermented 2.25 gallons or so of apfelwein in a 2.5-gallon #2 water jug. It's been chugging along just fine for almost four weeks, and I took a taste (but not a hydro sample) last week. Still a little sweet, but I think it's pretty dang good already, and surprisingly clear.

In any case, I'm probably going to bottle it in the next week or two, and I'm thinking... for such a small quantity, and in such a convenient vessel for just running it into a jug... how bad would it be to just open the spigot and drain it into growlers? It's a jug like one of these, and has been tap-side-up (vertical) while it ferments. I figure I should be able to get the majority of the apfelwein out of there without disturbing the lees too much.

Terrible idea from a splashing/oxidation standpoint? We're planning on drinking this batch young and still (the next one will age... maybe), if it makes a difference. It's fermenting in my buddy's workshop, and I'd rather not bring the bottling bucket, siphon, racking cane, etc. over there if I can do without. Yes, everything in this batch is ghetto-style.

Thanks!

If you drink all of it within the next two weeks no need to syphon.
If you store it in the fridge then you get 4 weeks time.
After that I would syphon and add some sulfite to keep down oxidation.

Excellent, thanks. Given how drinkable it seems to be, I can't imagine this batch lasting more than a week or two, especially around Thanksgiving.

I used one of those for one of my first trials (before I researched and learned how to do things properly) One issue with those containers is it has those ridges along the side, which present problems with both a vertical and horizontal orientation. Also, when you place it spigot side down, you will need to let it settle out for at least a few days, seeing as you can't possibly turn it 90* without disturbing your less and thus ruining your crystal clearness.

Do you have a hydrometer? If so, confirm it is finished fermenting before bottling. If not, you are taking on the risk of bottle bombs, of course that risk is lessened by drinking it within a week or two.

Now having done this very same method myself when I began I have no problem saying this without feeling pretentious. NEVER DO THIS AGAIN haha Anything you make can only benefit from using proper equipment and methods. You are less likely to have problems, and I guarantee that given ideal environments, a batch down in proper equipment will be much better in the end.

Thanks for the advice, Tusch. I do have a hydrometer, although I was just sort of winging it on this one (didn't take an OG, either). Maybe I'll take a reading, though, to settle my mind. Last thing I need is exploding growlers (or maybe I'll just wing it even more and bottle in 2L soda bottles!)

And if this batch turns out okay, I'm going to use it as a hook to get my deadbeat friends to buy me another ale pale or Better Bottle or something, so the next batch will be treated a little bit better. Figured I'd concentrate on sanitation and reasonable temperature control to make this batch drinkable as a proof-of-concept before making the play for more gear (to keep in this guy's workshop, since I'm having trouble finding room for even my beer equipment).

Thanks again!

Before I got a bottle wand, I bottled half my first batch of apfelwein with my auto siphon and crimping the hose with my fingers. Long story short, some splashing here and there and two weeks later bottles of apple cardboard. I am now using them to cook with and sticking to kegging my apfelwein since I like it better slightly carbed.

two weeks later bottles of apple cardboard

Hm, I wonder if my bottling wand would fit into the spigot. (Can you tell that I really don't want to bother with the the bottling bucket here?) I don't want to ruin the wine, but I'm not going to cry if I need to make sure 2 gallons gets finished in a week, either.

Latest posts

Back