Bottling and SansStar question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepy_brewer

Reaction score
I am going to bottle my American wheat on Sumday and had a few questions. Should I sanitize and wait until the bottles are dry or just leave them I for 2 minutes, pull them out and start filling? The NB DVD shows them putting beer into the carboy with SanStar still in there but the package of SanStar says not to ingest....so that was a concern as well. I rinsed the carboy out after santitizing bc I wasnt sure.

Thanks for the help!!!

I have been saving New Belgium bottles from my restaurant in order to so the bottling.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

StarSan is a no-rinse sanitizer. You'll want to at least let the foam drip out, but if it's just wet with sanitizer, you're fine.

Wet is best. I washed my bottles with warm oxy clean solution, let them dry then gave them a quick dunk in a bucket of starsan, a quick shake to be sure all interior surfaces were contacted, then drained and filled. It is really that easy.

And remember this... Don't fear the foam. Rinsing your carboy after you sanitize it is a no-no. Not necessarily going to cause you problems but you are rinsing the sanitizer out with non-sterile water. (Clean sure, but not sterile.)

Great! Thanks for the info. Please excuse my mistypes in the OP.

Can't wait to bottle the beer and try it!

American Wheat can be bottled on Sunday and the Caribou Slobber next Thursday.

Even the foam doesn't really matter that much, there is a vid on the Northern Brewer website where the guy pours his wort into a carboy covered in foam, I usually try and dump out as much as I can but apparently it doesn't matter. as the saying goes "don't fear the foam"

I use a vinator on top of my bottle tree with Starsan to sanitize the bottles right before filling. And I always seem to get some Starsan foam left behind in the primary or bottling bucket when ready to fill/rack. No worries,as it breaks down into yeast nutrient anyway. So a little foam is OK.

The NB DVD shows them putting beer into the carboy with SanStar still in there but the package of SanStar says not to ingest....so that was a concern as well. I rinsed the carboy out after santitizing bc I wasnt sure.

The StarSan bottle says not to ingest because consuming the concentrate would be a bad idea. A very bad idea. Once it's diluted in water at 1/5oz per gallon, however, you could drink a glass of it with no ill effects.

A good and simple rule of thumb for brew gear and bottles is to clean just after use, sanitize just before use. You want those bottles/carboys/etc. to be still wet with StarSan when they come into contact with your brew.

Great info. Thanks so much for the help everyone!

Back