Bottling and kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Honey

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I’m a new home brewer and have brewed my first batch and I have a question. If I were to start kegging, would I be able to bottle some beer once kegged? Meaning, can I use the rap to bottle? I want my friends to try the beer as well, so I wanted to bottle some as well.

Welcome to the obsession.

You'll probably get a few answers to your question. I use The Last Straw Bottle Filler from Northern Brewer but Blichmann also has a Beer Gun.

Hey guys,

I’m a new home brewer and have brewed my first batch and I have a question. If I were to start kegging, would I be able to bottle some beer once kegged? Meaning, can I use the rap to bottle? I want my friends to try the beer as well, so I wanted to bottle some as well.
I bottle from kegs all the time. I've actually found that the easiest way for me to do it is turn the pressure on the keg down to 2psi and bottle right from the tap, no growler filler or anything. As others have said, i cap on foam to help keep whatever oxygen out of the bottle. I've tried the picnic tap with the bottle filler connected to the out post on the keg and i just have too many problems to make it worth it. Filling from the tap is my go to choice now.

I bottle from kegs all the time. I've actually found that the easiest way for me to do it is turn the pressure on the keg down to 2psi and bottle right from the tap, no growler filler or anything.

This is what I do as well. No big deal. In the interest of full disclosure, the only time I do this is so that I can take some brew to the brew club meetings. So basically, it is consumed the same day. I don't know how this would do if you were to then store the bottles for a month or something before drinking. I'm sure that others will know.

I use a bottling wand jammed into a picnic tap handle, but I think something about how I am doing it sucks, because its not had great results. Following this thread with interest!

I use a bottling wand jammed into a picnic tap handle, but I think something about how I am doing it sucks, because its not had great results. Following this thread with interest!
This has been my experience as well. I was getting air in the line somewhere when doing this the last couple of times that have me a full bottle of foam. This is why i switched to bottling from the tap.

This is what I do as well. No big deal. In the interest of full disclosure, the only time I do this is so that I can take some brew to the brew club meetings. So basically, it is consumed the same day. I don't know how this would do if you were to then store the bottles for a month or something before drinking. I'm sure that others will know.

I do the same. Tilt the vessel so the beer runs down the side without splashing. I have kept bottles for a few weeks without issue. But generally anything filled is consumed quickly.

Back