Bottling ale from plastic barrel which has not been primed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richardo

Reaction score
Hello,

I got the idea that I should transfer my ale from my primary fermentation bucket to a keg (after 12 days) without priming sugar to my plastic ale barrel (youngs 5 gallon ale type) so that I can bottle the whole batch two weeks after. The two weeks now come and I am reading I should have left it to carry on fermenting in the primary bucket and then after the 4 weeks stick some boiled sugar in a bottling bucket and then the ale on top and then bottle immediately. Luckily my beer in the plastic barrel hasn't exploded even though it does not have an air vent but the top is on pretty tight.

My questions are should I try and screw the cap off the barrel (will this risk the cap flying off into my face or something like that) and stir in some boiled sugar gently as to not oxidize too much or just put an individual amount of boiled sugar in each bottle? I also have the option of leaving it in the barrel but will it be flat? My goal is to not oxidize the beer and have an even carbing.

Thanks for the help an apologies for the noob question!

Not sure what kind of barrel or keg you have, but it sounds like you are using it as a secondary fermenter (but capped, without an airlock.) And now you want to bottle your beer, correct?

If that's the case, you can siphon it back to a bottling bucket, add your boiled priming sugar, and then bottle from there. I would not recommend adding uneven amounts of sugar directly to bottles, use carb tabs instead.

And yes, be careful taking off the cap, it is likely under a fair bit of pressure.

I take it you're in the UK? Are you talking about a UK pressure barrel keg/fermenter combo unit?

Like these?

king_keg_bottom_tap_system_rev1.png

-63402206954350870.jpg

If that is the case, unfortunately this is an American forum, and pressure barrels are NOT that common to us. You may have better luck asking questions about working with them on either the English or Australian homebrewing forums. Very few if any of us even know what these things are. I know what they are because I've googled info when folks have come on here. But I have no answers to specific questions.

I don't want to chase you away , but I would post questions about pressure barrels on the Brewuk forums. We can help you with just about everything else about brewing. But specific pressure barrel info is pretty scarce on here.

However in terms of priming a pressure barrel, I would advise you to read this article, it's for priming uk pressure barrel fermenters.

Hey guys thanks for the reply, YES that is indeed my barrel, will post to that forum!

I used to use them about 20 years ago, but I fermented 2 weeks in primary, 4 weeks in secondary, then primed and transferred to the pressure barrel. Mine had pressure release valves in them, but they never let go.
I'd try drawing off a pint or so, and seeing what the carbonation is like. If the carbonation is OK, I'd attach the CO2 cartridge and dispense straight from the barrel and not bother with bottling. If they're over-carbonated, then drawing off a pint or two will release some of the pressure.
If that is the case, I would still dispense from the barrel, but wouldn't attach the CO2 cartridge until it is necessary to draw off the beer.
If the beer is flat, you should be able to remove the cap without any danger, and either prime in the barrel and dispense from the barrel, or siphon into a bottling bucket on top of a priming solution, and then bottle. It sounds as though a certain amount of carbonation has occurred in the barrel, so if you do bottle, you would have to reduce the amount of priming sugar to avoid bottle bombs, but I have no idea about how much the reduction should be. Why on earth would you want to go through the bottling process when you can dispense straight from the barrel? :confused:

Good luck.

-a.

I used to use them about 20 years ago, but I fermented 2 weeks in primary, 4 weeks in secondary, then primed and transferred to the pressure barrel. Mine had pressure release valves in them, but they never let go.
I'd try drawing off a pint or so, and seeing what the carbonation is like. If the carbonation is OK, I'd attach the CO2 cartridge and dispense straight from the barrel and not bother with bottling. If they're over-carbonated, then drawing off a pint or two will release some of the pressure.
If that is the case, I would still dispense from the barrel, but wouldn't attach the CO2 cartridge until it is necessary to draw off the beer.
If the beer is flat, you should be able to remove the cap without any danger, and either prime in the barrel and dispense from the barrel, or siphon into a bottling bucket on top of a priming solution, and then bottle. It sounds as though a certain amount of carbonation has occurred in the barrel, so if you do bottle, you would have to reduce the amount of priming sugar to avoid bottle bombs, but I have no idea about how much the reduction should be. Why on earth would you want to go through the bottling process when you can dispense straight from the barrel? :confused:

Good luck.

-a.

I would leave it in the barrel but I have that planned for half a brew I have sitting in a bucket, although at this point I just dont want to ruin this batch as a priority! Also I have put the normal cap on not the one with the CO2 cartridge so that may not be possible anyway. I got recommended to slowely release the cap untill I hear a hiss and then leave it till all the co2 is released, then carry on with priming and bottling, what do you think of this plan? If i release all the CO2 this way will this avoid bottle bombs? I was planning on priming with dextrose at 20grams per gallon would this be okay?

Thanks for your help:eek:nestar:

Latest posts

Back