Bottling age

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbypv

Reaction score
Good afternoon Everyone,
First off, I am conditioned brewer, but this is my first time on a homebrew forum. I have brewed one clone, and the rest of my brews have been my own recipe. I am no pro though. I always have a few questions that I kind of just ignore, but my curiosity has nagged at me long enough. I opened my pale ale on sunday. That was exactly 2 weeks in bottles. It was fairly cloudy, very hoppy for the small amount of hops I used (cascade at .75oz at 60 min & .75oz at 30 min), and made me burp more than I would like to admit. the flavor stuck with me for a while. Now I just tried it at 2 weeks to see how it was doing. I didn't expect it to be anywhere near ready (I hoped though). From your experience, what changes from week 2 to week 3 in the bottles? Do you try one every week? does the hoppiness actually go down, or is it not a significant decrease. Are the characteristics I described a textbook "green" brew? Any input and story sharing is greatly appreciated.

I have only done about 6 batches. I try a bottle at wk 1-3. I have noticed big differences between wk 1 and 2, but not a whole lot between 2 and 3.
The haziness in ur bottle after 2 wk.s makes me wonder if u got some trub when racking to your botteling bucket?
8 really have never noticed much change in hop flavors. Mostly just slight amounts in clarity, and mouthfeel. And carbonation.
I did a pale ale last wknd and I'm gonna keg this batch. 1st attempt. The wife let me order 1 for christmas. Woo hoooo! Cheers!

Ya, I thought I was looking pretty good when racking to the bucket, but I must have lost focus;). I try to get absolutely every drop and I may have hit the trub at the end. It's not terribly cloudy, but I haven't had this light of a brew yet. I normally do dark beers. oatmeal stouts and such; and the hops just taste so strong for only using 1.5 total ounces.
Anyway ,congrats on the keg! I have a mini fridge that is eagerly waiting to be a kegerator. I just don't want to spend the money for the conversion kit.

Picture of the homebrew in a frosted mug. not carbonated enough either - that was fresh head

beer.jpg

I didn't cold crash in the carboy. I don't really have a way to, and the only way I could get it cold enough is by putting it outside in these cool days. I live in texas so it doesn't stay cold for long. Either way, I wouldn't be confident with doing that. I had the bottle in the fridge for only about 13 hours. I will try to leave it for a few days next time. maybe that will help. Do you have an opinion on the hops? My Brother made a double IPA and I feel that mine had more hops.

I usually don't touch my beer until week 4. That's my rule of thumb for beers under 8% ABV. I don't like the sharp flavors cause by bottle carbing.

You do lose hoppiness over time. Hoppy IPAs you might want to start drinking at weeks 2 or 3. Hefes, I usually start drinking at week 2.

I think of "green beer " flavor as being a "sharp" flavor: quick and biting. It's a desired flavor, but more intense than desired.

Cloudy/haze is in the eye of the beerholder. Someone's "very cloudy" can be someone else's "no biggie." I try to get a good pour, but I don't worry too much about haze/cloudiness.

If it's hazy only when cold, that's chill haze. That probably won't go away. If it's cloudy all the time, that is likely either yeast /trub suspended that will eventually settle or a bad pour.

Looks like a tasty beer to me!
I agree with beernik, haziness is in the eye of the beerholder. Lol
I have been doin a diff. Style everytime. I loved my chok/ oatmeal stout, and I have a ca. Common that's on about wk 2 in bottles. I tried it at wk 1 and it looked very similar to your ale. I would really like to stick to tthese in the winter.
I did a pumpkin in early oct that still hasn't carbed. My wife seems to like them....so they're hers. :)
Ibet u will be liking that beer more in a wk and even more in 2, but the hoppiness is not gonna settle out that much, I am bettin. If its beer and its got bubbles....its good. ;-)
Cheers!

My experience has been at week 2 it is drinkable, no issues with it as far as drinkability, however if I wait till the end of week 3 before I put it in the fridge, it retains the head more than it will at week 2

The other thing is that it might need longer in the fridge for the CO2 in the headspace in the bottle to get into solution in the beer. I reckon on 2 days or so minimum in the fridge for bottles to get the full level of carbonation into the beer.

Well, guys, I am impatient. I HAD to try another one. I left this one in the fridge longer and am much more pleased with the taste. Its crisp, light in body, and has great hop flavor. the head was thick and foamy, and as you can see, there is much more of it.

I just wish I had put 2 in the fridge at the time.

photo.jpg

Back