bottling after primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbelay

Reaction score
I'm experimenting here because of limited equipment and hearing several folks saying secondary isn't needed for apa's. The first apa I bottled is still cloudy after 4 weeks in the bottle(I didn't go to the secondary but I did let it set @ 68 deg for 2 weeks after vigorous ferm. was over). I have a couple in the fridge to see if it settles out.It hasn't yet after 5 days. I have a batch in my primary now and I would like to bottle. Should I crash cool it prior? Is this a waste of time and I should just go to secondary(buy a betterbottle or 2)? Does anybody do this or is it reserved for kegging? Thanks

If you can afford it, it will not hurt to let that batch sit for a little longer.
Buy another fermenter, or if you want it to clear out you my want to look in to finings (irish moss, gelatin).

I let my brews sit for at least 4 weeks before I keg or bottle. There is a great benefit to having transparent brewing equipment, you can check on your brews.

Back