bottling after cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skunkbo

Reaction score
Are there any issues associated with bottling after cold crashing? Do you bottle with cold beer, or do you let the beer return to room temp. prior to bottling?

I may not always bottle right away, but I do rack the beer off the lees while it still cold to help avoid stirring up the gunk.

same as above, I bottle cold. No problems, and its kind of nice to have the beer already cold if you're going to take a "sample" to taste.

Ok, so I'll ask the stupid question...so there will be enough yeast in suspension to carbonate? I don't normally bottle, but I will be bottling quite a few batches this winter since I plan to do a lot of brewing.

As long as you havn't been cold crashing for an extended period of time you will be fine

I typically bottle cold right after a 5-7 day cold crash to 35-36*F. Mine carbonate just fine.

The only thing I'd suggest doing differently is to give the primed beer a very, very gentle stir with a sanitized spoon to evenly distribute the sugar solution.

If using a priming calculator, input the highest temp that the beer saw during fermentation, NOT the temp at bottling time.

I should probably know the answer to this one... I am racking off my primary full of Chocolate Oatmeal Stout at this minute. 1 teaspoon of gelatin and five days later, there is still a large amount of cocoa in suspension. Do I need to re gelatin and crash, or just re crash? Btw, there was 8 ounces of cocoa powder in this batch, so there probably isn't a set answer.
EDIT: the first 1/2 gallon or so was "chalky" looking but, the beer coming off now is crystal clear, depending on how it settles, I will make a decision then.

BigFloyd, that is an interesting suggestion to use the highest temp during fermentation as the temp in your priming sugar calculation. I always assumed I should use the temp at bottling. Why do you use the high temp rather than current?

BigFloyd, that is an interesting suggestion to use the highest temp during fermentation as the temp in your priming sugar calculation. I always assumed I should use the temp at bottling. Why do you use the high temp rather than current?

Cold crashing doesn't affect the amount of dissolved CO2 in the beer since it's not under pressure. The higher temp seen during ferment has the most influence on that factor.

Latest posts

Back