Bottling a few but kegging the rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allanmac00

Reaction score
I am planning to keg a batch this weekend, but I was hoping to also bottle off maybe a six pack or so. The problem: I don’t have a beer gun. Could I just pour off about a gallon or so into a bottling bucket and put one of those carbonation drops into some bottles and do it that way? Then rack the rest into the keg?

When I'm racking the beer to the keg I just rack some in to 6 bottles first, on top of the carb drops ... works great!

You can do it that way, but I prefer bottling from the keg for sediment free bottles .. Look up "we don't need no stinking beer gun" started by biermuncher, even if you have none of the parts lying around, it's about $4, and you'll use it every batch from now on ! I've force carbed in a keg and bottled the whole batch with at thing - it works great !!

I bottle a few and carb them with some corn sugar every batch myself.

Not to highjack the thread, but when you bottle off of the keg how long do those bottles stay carbed?

I would do what you said and leave a gallon or so behind. There are several brew softwares that can tell you how much priming sugar to use for 1 gallon. That way you get a good, even carbonation. Adding priming sugar directly to bottles is inconsistent, and i've had issues with Cooper's tablets giving a sweetness to the beer.

I've read the 'We dont need to stinkin beer gun' thread, and it sounds pretty good! If you arent going to do that regularly though, and you just want a quick fix for now, do the gallon seperately.
BWOMP- that thread said that he said for a couple months (i think) and they were still perfectly carbed and ready to drink!

Perfect excuse to step up your batch size by a gallon or so. Up until now I've been doing 11 gallon batches, and splitting between a pair of bucket fermenters with bottling spigots. I usually run drain the fermenter into the keg for about a gallons worth, and then fill 3 or 4 500ml flip tops with carb tabs in them. Filling mid stream give any yeast that is going to flow through the bottling valves to get out of the way, and the resulting bottles are very clear. My kegs usually end up just below the gas tube.

I can't imagine bottling full time, but a few here & there for travel is nice to have.

I bottle a few and carb them with some corn sugar every batch myself.

Not to highjack the thread, but when you bottle off of the keg how long do those bottles stay carbed?

Should stay carbed indefinitely. The co2 is in the liquid when transferring. I understand that the headspace co2 that is lost is minimal in comparison to that in solution.

Latest posts

Back