Bottling a doppelbock - add yeast or no?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sublime8365

Reaction score
I've done some searching and have gotten mixed answers.

I brewed a doppelbock (OG 1.092) back in March. I had it in primary for about 4 weeks and it's been lagering for 9 weeks. I'm looking to bottle in the next week and was wondering if I should add yeast during bottling in order to properly carb this beer.

Who has experience with this and what would you recommend? How much yeast should I add and does it have to be lager yeast?

I've bottled some tall beers after aging for a bit myself, just did a 9% ABV not long ago after aging for 5 months, took a couple months to carb up nice. Really doesn't take much yeast to carb one, though if you don't add any I'm sure it will take a lot longer. On my big beers, I plan on it taking a couple of months or more to bottle carb them. I've never actually added any yeast at bottling time, even on my lagers. If I were going to, I'd probably go with a dry packet of ale yeast or lager.

Back