Bottles taste different from pop tops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker36

Reaction score
So I bottled about half of my IPA in regular bottles, and the other half in pop tops. The pop-top bottles are delicious and hoppy. The bottles are less delicious, less hoppy, and have a sweetish after taste. Any ideas on what the hell happened?

If I had to blindly guess without knowing how long they have been in bottles, or even what you are calling a pop top....I would say they are still young, or priming sugar was not mixed uniformly, or poor seal on the "normal" bottles. If you can give us just a bit more info we can probably get this thing figured out :)

Yeah, I can't help but think that you are trying to convince yourself that using "pop tops" was a good idea. Just my gut! Sorry.

What is a "pop top" in this discussion? The last thing I hear that term used for was beer cans when the pull tab was introduced. Are you referring to Grolish-type flip-tops?

The last batch of Grolsch type rubber seals I bought from B3 had a sweet smell to them, sort of like a caramel smell. Probably one of the ingredients of the rubber. It does not effect the taste of the beer but you can just barely catch the faint smell if you put your nose up to the bottle.
I consider this to be much better than the nasty butyl smell that I have noticed from some of the old Grolsch seals.
AP

Yes, no more posting drunk in the middle of the night. I meant that the flip tops taste good, reuglar bottles, nto so much. They have been aging for about 5 1/2 weeks now. All of them are carbed about the same and have pretty much equal head when poored.

Same color bottles?

When you said Pop Top I thought you meant you bottled your brew in soda-pop bottles..

El_Borracho said:
Same color bottles?

Good question!

Were they all stored the same? Could some of the bottles have been exposed to light or a bigger fluctuation in temp?

All were sanitzed exactly the same. Initially I thought it might be a problem with some of the bottles I used. They were Stella Artois (green) and had some trouble capping them, but the other brown bottles have the same problems. The flip top bottles were all brown.
Also they were all stored in the same place, in the dark with fairly constant 62-65ish temp.

Is the carbonation the same in both types of bottles?

I just opened a batch of ordinary bitter that was all in Grolsch bottles, the first one I opened must have not sealed well and was lightly carbonated, tasted bad and went down the drain. The second one opened with a pop, perfectly carbonated and is fantastic.
Maybe there was a problem with your caps or capper, it sealed, but not well?

No, carbonation was equal throughout and I primed the entire batch together

Back